Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Planning build for 02 Firehawk - input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning build for 02 Firehawk - input appreciated

I plan on starting my build sometime next month, and want to be sure I get everything right the first time. My goal is to have a nice SQL system, and am not really restrained to a budget, but I don't want to get ridiculous either. I listen to pretty much all types of music, including classical, but hip-hop consumes roughly half of that time. I have a friend that deals in Hertz, Eclipse, and Pioneer, so those are options that I am considering but am not committed to running those lines. This is what I was thinking. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

To start, I will be laying Second Skin Damplifier Lite throughout the main cabin, and Damplifier Pro on the doors and rear hatch. I want to try to keep the weight down a little bit, hence the reason to use Lite for a portion of it.

Head-unit
I still haven't decided on a head-unit yet, but I am leaning towards the Eclipse 7200. I can fit a 2-DIN with some modifications, but I don't think I have the fabrication skills to pull it off cleanly, but that's not out of the question. I just don't want to spend more than $600 on the head-unit.

Front Stage
This is where I start to get lost, and feel I need the most help. First off, I want to keep the stock appearance of my doors. I don't think that will be difficult, but I haven't taken the panels off yet to be sure. And I don't think I'm going to replace the rear speakers, leaving them unhooked, and just focus on the fronts. I don't feel I have enough knowledge to go active, so I'm looking for a great passive setup. I don't like overly harsh, in your face tweets. I like something more natural and smooth. I have somewhat of a ridiculous range to work with here. I've considered:

Hertz MLK165 (just cause I think I can get a decent deal on them)
ID CTX65 (I've read nothing but great things about these at their price point)

I understand the above two aren't really even in the same league, but I'm not quite sure what to do here. I don't know if spending the extra $$$ is justified. The tough thing is, I haven't been able to find a place that demos the IDs. I am also considering having someone professionally install these for me to make sure I get the best performance possible out of them. I just have to find the right place/person around here. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Sub
I plan on running a stealth fiberglass box from Ian (Kee) in the rear hatch for either a single 10" or 12". I e-mailed him to determine how much volume I can get out of the box, and what the max mounting depth is. I'm guessing the volume will be roughly 0.9ft^3. Again, my goal is for an SQL setup. I've thought about running the following:

IDMAX
JBL GTi
JL W6v2

I considered the Fi Q, but after reading their forums, I'm not sure it will have enough output for what I'm looking for.

Amps
I'll determine that when I get my equipment finalized.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything I'm missing? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last car (Pontiac GTP) was built to run Stock SQ in MECA. I used JL Audios XR650 for my front stage and I loved them. You can run them active or passive. I had JL 10w3s subs and JL 500/1 and JL 300/4 amps.

In the Trans am I am thinking of running one JL10w3 the same front stage as above but this time I want the JL900/5HD amp. If you have never seen this amp look it up. It's VERY small and is 500x1 and 100x4 so it will run your front stage and sub easy.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would also use some Luxury Liner Pro, or Over Kill Pro inside the front doors to get the most out of your main speakers. I used Second Skin Damplifier w/Over Kill Pro glued to it inside the doors of both my Z28 and recently my sons 04 cavalier; it's well worth the time and effort! Do the same inside the Sailpanels but install a good midbass/midrange in there x-overed around 2k (no tweeters). I also run a similar setup in the sailpanels w/cdt midbass/midrange speakers. Give'm around 100 watts rms x 4 and you'll be plenty happy. I'd put the IDMAX and Fi Q High on your list. If you go with the IDMAX make sure you put polyfil in the enclosure. BTW, I run 2 IDMAX 10s (ported @ 29hz) in my car.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I didn't plan on installing anything in the sail panels. What is the reasoning, and what do you recommend running there?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use it basically as a rear fill and midbass/midrange reinforcement. I tried using 2 way components speakers in the sail panels, but the sound was to bright, so I unhooked the tweeters which did the trick; that was over 5yrs ago. I now run a set of CDT M6+ 6.5" in the sails which have a really smooth sound. Any good midbass/midrange 6.5" should fit the bill. And as long as the mounting depth is 3" or less you'll have no clearance issues.