General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems

Whats up guys. Im new to the forums and was hoping for some guidance. Ive been having issues with my transmission for a couple weeks now. I have a 2000 WS6 m6. Whenever I go to shift into 1st gear itll grind. I also notice that if I open her up itll be hard to shift into 3rd and sometimes 4th gear. Also..., the other day my clutch pedal wouldnt bounce back on its own..., had to pull it back out with my foot. My intension is to bleed the system and change the tranny fluid..., but I wanted to get some opinions of what I might be looking at if (when) that doesnt fix it. Thanks....
Old 02-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Launching!

does the pedal stick only when ur drivin it hard? mine was doin that to. i would get thru 2 gears before it would stick if i was drivin it hard. if i was goin from a dig, it wouldnt go into third. or from a roll it would stick goin into 4th. if thats what yours is doin, search on here about the drill mod. theres a restrictor in the line coming out of the master cylinder. it makes the line narrower for maybe a half inch or so(dont quote me on that its been a while since i pulled it). that restrictor only lets a little amount of fluid thru, so it gets hot quick, and puts air in the line. its a common problem when headers are put on. also, if this is the case, you need to check the fluid. it gets burnt after a while....mine was black. im sure someone else will be able to explain it better. im not sure if thats whats wrong, but it may help if you give some more info on the car. mods? mileage? any other noticeable issues?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, for the clutch pedal staying on the floor, go to the manual transmission forum and search "sticking clutch". Apparently this is an issue with our cars. I read up on it about a week ago...fortunately, I haven't had this happen to me yet. Last post on topic was 02/02, so should be within first couple of pages.

Hope this helps some....and welcome to the forum
Old 02-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Launching!

the issue usually comes into play when headers are installed. the line runs next to them. like i said tho, im not sure that this is the problem, but sounds like it.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Teching In

The car is bone stock. It has about 94k miles on it. Ive only had it for a few weeks now. I got a really good deal on the car and Im starting to see why. Along with the clutch problem, I have the notorious squeaky belt issue. I replaced the pulley tensioner and that didnt fix it. Seems to be parallel with driving in the rain. I didnt have the problem until driving in a moderate to heavy rain all week long. So itll probably turn out to be one or more of my pulleys with bad bearings. Another issue is a vibration in the car when in low rpms. At first I thought that it may be related to the trans issue..., but Im starting to think otherwise now. And lastly I have a service engine soon light with a code 0406 which Ive read up on and Im not overly concerned about....., but its just another thing to fix eventually. All and all..., I dont regret buying the car. Just wish I could be spending money on mods rather than getting it in good working order. Thanks for the advice on the clutch guys. Ill look into the drill mod...
Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Launching!

im probly wrong on the clutch issue. but if you plan on headers, you'll want to look into the drill mod. ive seen some not need it, but its pretty common. easy fix tho. have you checked the clutch fluid? if its looks bad, definately start by changing it and make sure you bleed it good
Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Teching In

The clutch fluid looks pretty good..., and its serviced to where it needs to be. I definetly plan to flush it 1st before doing anything major. But the more I read about it, the more I doubt its gonna solve the problem. Im hoping its not 2 separate issues. It gets harder to shift through gears when the car is warm and i open it up..., but the grinding into 1st does it evertime, even when cold. The only way Ive been able to null that out is if Im completely stopped, I shift into 2nd keeping the clutch engaged and then shift into 1st. That usually will stop it from grinding..., but I have to be completely stopped. What do you think could be causing that?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Launching!

yea if the fluid looks good then its not the problem. someone will eventually see the thread and will be able to help a lot more than i can
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Seems to me more like a syncronizer problem with 1st gear if it is everytime.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

so is this the original clutch? i would replace it with the ls7 clutch kit, and new master/slave cylinders.

as for the squeaking belt issue, check the lower radiator hose for leaks. sometimes a drop of coolant will go on the belt and cause that loud scream until it wears off, also why it happens in the rain.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Choppers
Seems to me more like a syncronizer problem with 1st gear if it is everytime.
Thats what Ive been afraid of. You're not the first person Ive heard that from.

Im not sure, but I assume its the original clutch. A clutch upgrade is something I would like to do anyways..., but if I have an issue with the tranny..., Ill have to get that fixed first.

As far as the squeak...., I pretty much I have it isolated to the crank pulley. The sound is coming right from there. The bearings are probably trashed and Ill have to replace it. Ive yet to look up how to remove the crank pulley, but dont you need a pulley puller to get that one off....
Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

I just bled my master, wow was that **** nasty. Used a turkey baster, took out all the fluid I could. Topped it off, pressed the clutch in 30 times. Repeat 8 or 9 times till the fluid is crystal clear. Could very well be whats causing your clutch sticking issue. Do this a couple times a year.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Launching!

put good fluid in it too. dont cheap out, get somethin rated for high temp. what do you guys all recommend for fluid? i was kinda wonderin that too, i used valvoline synthetic dot 3/4. thats just what i used tho i have no idea if its good or bad yet.