Sponsored by:

Installing and adjusting front tubular A arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing and adjusting front tubular A arms

Hello,
I just installed a pair of BMR front lower A arms and wondered if anyone can give me a baseline so I can at least get them close before I get an alignment.
I searched but came up with very little.
Thanks in advance.
Dave
Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

subscribed. will need to know soon
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Im in the same boat. Hopefully we'll get some help soon
Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got done installing mine about a week ago, and my alignment is jacked. I'm gonna get it close enough to roll it onto the trailer then run it over to the alignment shop.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

I am leary about taking my car to an average alignment shop. I can hear it know... Yeah we needed two extra hours of labour to adjust the control arms. Not to mention I can't handle somone else driving my car onto the hoist.
Anybody an alignment DIY'r?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
I am leary about taking my car to an average alignment shop. I can hear it know... Yeah we needed two extra hours of labour to adjust the control arms. Not to mention I can't handle somone else driving my car onto the hoist.
Anybody an alignment DIY'r?
I feel the same way. I'm about to install mine in the next week or so. Any info would be great.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

When I installed my upper and lowers I did the alignment myself it drives great.

If your using your stock k-member, then here's how I'd go about it (it's a poor-boy way about doing it, but it should be effective).

#1) Jack up the car, get the front tires off, then get it set on stands under the lower a-arms (where the suspension is loaded the same as when the tires are on it, but you'd be able to turn the hubs)
#2) Get a straight piece of something(I used 1" x 1/8" flat bar). Drill it to fit one of the studs on the front hub. Bolt it up to one lug and center it across the hub. Make sure it's lying flat across the center of the hub. If memory serves I used a 24" long pc on each side.
#3) Get good measurments on each side of the straight edge with it horizontal on each side. Measure the distance between each side. Get the same measurement across the bottom with the staight edges vertical. Note: make sure your wheel hubs(tires) are pointed straight ahead.
#4) Take off the lower a-arm, be careful not to inadvertatntly move the adjustment on the steering tie-rods... mark them if you have to to ensure they get put back in the same place.
#5) Lay out the stock a-arm and the aftermarket a-arm and try to get the after market a-arm set up exactly the same dimensionally as the stocker.
#6) Install your new a-arms, install you straight edges, and verify all your measurements. The tie-rods should keep you straight up front, make any other adjustments needed using the aftermarket adjustment.

This should get you back atleast as good as you were before you started, so having it in decent alignment before you start will matter. Your aftermarket arms should've came with some comments/tips on installing properly.

I may have just gotten lucky, but this is the way I set up my complete UMI front suspension: k-mem, upper, and lowers. I had a shop check it and they said it was good. Who knows??

Quick Reply: Installing and adjusting front tubular A arms