Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

opinions on L92 swap into A-body tremec or T56?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default opinions on L92 swap into A-body tremec or T56?

I have a BBC in my chevelle right now with a tko600 behind it. I'm currently building an L92 engine to swap in.

Now I know there's lots of swap parts available to mate the LS to the tko, but i'm debating just going to a T56 so I cam run all Oem stuff. I can get good money pretty easily for the tko if I decided to sell it and go for a t56. I'm not worried about the floor mods or driveshaft because I can do all my own tig or mig fab as well as the driveshaft isn't a big deal.

I'd need a different bellhousing and flywheel for the tremec as well as maybe a hyd. clutch if the swap headers won't work with the mechanical linkage, which I prefer.

I could sell the whole TKO setup to a friend and it'll drop right into a regular sbc/bbc and source out a T56 or Magnum for not much more $.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 873 Posts

Unless you have a boner for a T56, I would keep the TKO. The main advantage is that you won't have to change anything from the transmission back. I swapped from a big block 502 in my 70 GTO to a L92 and retained my Richmond 6spd. You can do the same with the TKO. Use the Edelbrock adapter plates and your shifter will end up in exactly the same location as it was with the big block.

Andrew
Old 02-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans

I've read your whole thread on your car because our previous and present combinations are very similar.

Could you maybe pm me on the specifics of your clutch, flywheel p/n if you have it. I'd probably run the either the keisler bell or a quicktime. I've read the truck flywheels work but if I remember, you used LS7 parts correct?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by kballs
I've read your whole thread on your car because our previous and present combinations are very similar.

Could you maybe pm me on the specifics of your clutch, flywheel p/n if you have it. I'd probably run the either the keisler bell or a quicktime. I've read the truck flywheels work but if I remember, you used LS7 parts correct?
I used the complete LS7 package offered by Scoggin Dickey. It's a nice streetable clutch.

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: opinions on L92 swap into A-body tremec or T56?