Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Steering wheel is loose

Old 02-14-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel is loose

I got a pretty serious problem. I bought this '00 WS6 with some issues, and insted of modding i'm doing a great job restoring it back to factory and replacing good new parts. spending my money in fixing her up nice again.

my issue is, the steering wheel is loose, you can pull down on it and it will drop in one direction. the tilt wheel works Fine. I don't know why it does this but i'm afraid the steering wheel may fall off in my lap one day.

any suggestions of fixing this? should I go to stealership? buy new part?

thanks for ALL the help so far LS1tech members for the stuff i've already fixed all thanks to some bird guru's....
Old 02-15-2010, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much does it pull down? My wheel on my white T/A would flex about an inch down to the right, only if I pulled on it though.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Teching In

duct tape and stop pulling down on it. seriously tho, i'd try sponsors, gmpartsdirect, etc before dealer.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
How much does it pull down? My wheel on my white T/A would flex about an inch down to the right, only if I pulled on it though.
yeah, a good inch-inch and a half. pulls to the 7 o'clock. and only goes if I pull on it in that direction as well....

how did you fix it?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:10 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You gotta do some diss-assembly to tighten some bolts. Even fully tightened, it'll pull down to the left a little bit. Loose bolts such as yours is a hazzard. How much looser will you let it get? Take it apart and fix it up. Anything beyond 1/2 inch movement is too much.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
You gotta do some diss-assembly to tighten some bolts. Even fully tightened, it'll pull down to the left a little bit. Loose bolts such as yours is a hazzard. How much looser will you let it get? Take it apart and fix it up. Anything beyond 1/2 inch movement is too much.
I agree. very dangerous. I just hate to take it off the road for a few days to get it done. it's so much fun. I figured I might as well go ahead and replace the Dash Top since it has a crack in it while I'm there.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

I've already been down this road and disassembled my column. It's not from any loose hardware like I've had in many GM columns over the years. The problem with these cars (and my car still has this problem) is where the column pivots for the tilt, there are two pins that are typically press-fit. After time, either the pin or the casting gets worn, then you get the slop in the column. I still need to talk to some people... see if I can replace the pins, or it the casting needs to be replaced.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by campbellshotrods
I've already been down this road and disassembled my column. It's not from any loose hardware like I've had in many GM columns over the years. The problem with these cars (and my car still has this problem) is where the column pivots for the tilt, there are two pins that are typically press-fit. After time, either the pin or the casting gets worn, then you get the slop in the column. I still need to talk to some people... see if I can replace the pins, or it the casting needs to be replaced.
this is very good info man, keep me updated if you can
Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any word on what the fix is? Mine does the exact same thing, pulls down at the 7 o' clock position a good inch plus.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So does mine. Its a 94 Bird. Not quite 1", more like 1/2". but only if you pull on it. One guys a couple of years ago wouldn't pass inspection on it, took it elsewhere and they did. 1st guy is a jerk anyway. It does it more with the tilt up than down.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Default Loose steering wheel 2000 Trans Am

I have a loose steering wheel on a 2000 Trans Am. Just found out it's the housing for the tilt mechanism. The pins that the housing swivel on are hardened steel and aren't going to wear out. The housing is alloy and the left swivel pin hole is worn. It is a discontinued part that sells for about $400 if you could find one new. The shop my car is at says the last one in the U.S. just sold 2 days ago from a dealer in Florida. The shop found 3 columns at a junk yard and has sent a mechanic to check them out for the parts I need.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

If your steering wheel pulls to the 7 oclock position. I just fixed this problem in mine. The pivot pin on the left side pulled out. It was a very simple fix. Pull the 2 plastic covers off below the turn signal lever. Be careful not to break them, once you get them off you will see the pivot pin out of place.

I put RED LOCKTITE on the outer edge of the pivot pin then moved the steering column to line up the pin with the hole while a friend drove the pin back in with small drift and hammer. Carefully get it lined up as the other person drives it back in. It will never come back out with red locktite on it.

Only put the locktite on the outer edge of the pin. If you pull the pin completely out DO NOT PUT RED LOCKTITE on the inner smaller portion of the pin. Only use it on the larger outter edge. The smaller part of the pin is where it pivots in the housing. Sorry I don't have pictures but its very basic.

There are other issues where the 4 assembly bolts come loose inside but when they come loose the steering wheel is loose and just flops in any direction.

I've been repairing these columns for 30 years and never seen a worn housing where the pin fits into, only people who don't understand how to seat the pin back into place properly...........it looks seated but its not in place properly. Think about it before you waste a bunch of money, how could the housing wear that much to wear it out?
Its just not possible............... Good Luck out there, Its a jungle of BS!

Last edited by RockinWs6; 04-15-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

RockinWs6 - will this method work on an 02 Firebird - mine pulls to the 7 oclock position as well
Old 04-16-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Of course
Old 04-16-2015, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Mine does this too! Thanks for the info man!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i plan on tackling this next weekend - along with some other work i need to do. in the meantime, if anyone else gets to it before me, please post pics i'll do the same
Old 04-25-2015, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

I fixed mine yesterday, very easy to do. Just dont let the little plastic piece that pushes the dimmer rod fall out. thanks Rockinws6!
Old 04-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I will give this a go next weekend. Noticed since we bought this Bird that when you get in and grab the wheel and put some weight on it, feel like it is going to break off.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i never got to this this past weekend. if people can post pics of the pin, and the for the dimmer rod, that would be great
Old 05-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opened up our totaled Bird to see what was involved before trying to correct our daily driver. This steering wheel works perfectly, you can see the pin that the wheel pivots on in the attached. I will try to get a pick of the problem one next week when we open it up.

The plastic piece for the dimmer fell out, what a pain that is going to be.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel is loose-20150509_191022.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel is loose