Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What Torque arms are better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Torque arms are better?

I have an 01 camaro with a 6 speed and factory 10 bolt. THIS IS MY DAILY DRIVER!!!! My factory torque arm is not supporting my rear end and it is causing it to where around the u joints and the pinion bearings. My question is what kind of torque arms are preferred i am thinking of going with a Spohn trans mounted adjustable arm. Would it be better to go with another brand like BMR, UMI, or someone else? And cross-member mounted vs trans mount? And is a cross-member worth the road noise?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

if it were me I'd get the trans mounted tq arm and get a relocation kit w/ it as well. that way you keep the tq arm the same length instead of getting a shorter one(tunnel brace mt) and take that stress off the tailshaft. a shorter tq arm will help w/ the launch but hurt braking and handling on decel some.
umi or bmr are both have great products and both stand behind ther products 110%
Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
He is correct! I just wanted to suggest to you when you go with a full length arm you maintain a factory ride quality with the arm in the factory location. But when you go with a aftermarket I would highly suggest going with a adjustable torque arm to allow you to adjust your pinion angle. And to make the suspension bullet proof. If you are getting around 450 Hp I would suggest looking into a relocation cross member to not only instant center adjustments but also eliminate any issues with breaking the tail shaft. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...t99m1c2vdsmtg5

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...t99m1c2vdsmtg5

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

+1 for umi. I went with their full length adj arm and I love it
Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Thanks. I have been looking into doing a torque arm relocation bracket later on when i do get the power ratings up there some but for now i think i am over doing it when i say i am pushing 400hp but that is what some ppl have said when i tell them whats done. my only problem now is putting the power to the ground so that is another reason i am looking into a torque arm and many other suspension parts along with it.

So i am prob going to go with a full length adjustable arm but what brand make a stronger arm? I have heard the Edelbrock one is a piece and snaps easy! So what about BMR vs Spohn vs. UMI vs. any other brands i may not list if any?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

BMR or UMI, ther both hardcore f-body companies and both make top notch products. spohn has good products too but has never paid us much attention.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

So i am prob going to go with a full length adjustable arm but what brand make a stronger arm? I have heard the Edelbrock one is a piece and snaps easy! So what about BMR vs Spohn vs. UMI vs. any other brands i may not list if any?
I would have to agree on your assesment on the Edelbrock arm I have seen more documented failures of these then any other torque arm.
As for the rest of us I dislike direct comparisons or "vs" posts I prefer to tell you the features/benefits of our product instead
  • All of our full length torque arms are constructed of 1.25" x .120 wall DOM tubing DOM is a very effective tubing due to the high strength from the cold working process; secondly tolerances are very tight on OD size, wall thickness, I.D. size making for a better stronger product.
  • All of our full length torque arms are supplied with a new BMR specific polyurethane front bushing. The bushing is BMR specific due to the construction techniques of using one continuous tube from front back giving you the most strength possible. The bushing itself also offers more control and less deflection over the factory rubber mount.
  • Our torque arm will work on all factory and after market rear end housings so you don't have to worry about upgrading to a different torque arm with future upgrades.
  • BMR manufactures everything in house. All the way from bare tubing from the mill to bending,cutting,notching,welding and powder coating. This is important to insure production quality is maintained through the entire process.

BMR and UMI are very active on the boards and are both great companies to choose from.

Odds are if you ask a suspension related question both of us are going to give you our opinions and suggestions..... I feel this is important for the community as a whole and any support is appreciated.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
BMR or UMI, ther both hardcore f-body companies and both make top notch products. spohn has good products too but has never paid us much attention.
How do you figure? Spohn makes alot of parts for us. I personally like the short TQ arm. But Im more into drag racing and the shorter one works better for me. Ive seen many cars into the 10s without the relocation bracket. Its up to you tho. BMR and UMIs relocation brackets are nice cause you can also adjust the instant center and does help with lowered cars to correct drive line angle.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=BMR Tech;12897838]I would have to agree on your assesment on the Edelbrock arm I have seen more documented failures of these then any other torque arm.
As for the rest of us I dislike direct comparisons or "vs" posts I prefer to tell you the features/benefits of our product instead

I highly respect that and thanks for the input.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Launching!

ok thanks again everyone and my new torque arm should be here soon.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can someone give a better explanation as why the tunnel brace mount torque arm will hunt the handling (cornering performance)
Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwfronk
Thanks. I have been looking into doing a torque arm relocation bracket later on when i do get the power ratings up there some but for now i think i am over doing it when i say i am pushing 400hp but that is what some ppl have said when i tell them whats done. my only problem now is putting the power to the ground so that is another reason i am looking into a torque arm and many other suspension parts along with it.

No Problem Glad that I could help!
When a customer purchases any suspension product from UMI Performance they are not only getting a great quality product that is made right here in our own facility that performs, They are also getting great tech advice and customer service. And for added assurance if you need we also offer our torque arms in Chrome Moly. If there is a issue with any of our products we stand behind them 110%. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
Can someone give a better explanation as why the tunnel brace mount torque arm will hunt the handling (cornering performance)
A short style arm is more prone to binding during cornering maneuvers. With shackles in the front the arm cannot twist side to side and allow free movement of the rearend.

The short style arm also modifies the rear suspension geometry due to its length. The shorter length modifies anti-squat percentage values which in turn will affect the car under acceleration and braking forces associated with handling.

Any questions just ask
Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
A short style arm is more prone to binding during cornering maneuvers. With shackles in the front the arm cannot twist side to side and allow free movement of the rearend.

The short style arm also modifies the rear suspension geometry due to its length. The shorter length modifies anti-squat percentage values which in turn will affect the car under acceleration and braking forces associated with handling.
Any questions just ask
The braking is IMO the part most people don't consider. It can cause rear wheel hop which I bet has caused more quarter panel dimples than hard launches

It is why I just bought a long TA relocation bracket from BMR. Get the the launch shock off the tailshaft and keep the stock handling/braking characteristcs. A new TA will be next.

BTW Dennis GREAT looking part and got here in two days I can't wait to get it on
Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
The braking is IMO the part most people don't consider. It can cause rear wheel hop which I bet has caused more quarter panel dimples than hard launches

It is why I just bought a long TA relocation bracket from BMR. Get the the launch shock off the tailshaft and keep the stock handling/braking characteristcs. A new TA will be next.

BTW Dennis GREAT looking part and got here in two days I can't wait to get it on
Great points also regarding braking....

Let me know if you have any questions during the install of the parts and thanks for purchasing BMR
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
if your feeling motivated, heres a good read on how TA's effect things, and yet another option
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...pled-ta-3.html
Originally Posted by tillery
How do you figure? Spohn makes alot of parts for us. I personally like the short TQ arm. But Im more into drag racing and the shorter one works better for me. Ive seen many cars into the 10s without the relocation bracket. Its up to you tho. BMR and UMIs relocation brackets are nice cause you can also adjust the instant center and does help with lowered cars to correct drive line angle.
yeah..now they do. plus how much do you see spohn on here helping people? ha
Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

if you have an m6 car then i suggest you click on the link in my sig. i have a umi adj tq arm and relocation kit with poly bushing, hardware kit for tq arm, an mag finder. brand new never used. it's a great deal
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

I know, this is a long-dead thread, but better than making a new one on the same topic.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience concerning performance of the de-coupled torque arm. How strong is it? Does it help "make" the car longer during launches and shorter during braking, as advertised? Pretty much, is the damn thing worth the hype and cost? Thanks for yalls input.

Quick Reply: What Torque arms are better?