General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My 98 camaro 5.7 lit is overheating!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 98 camaro 5.7 lit is overheating!!

Hey Guys just joinied the site, should have joined 4 years ago when I got my car.

I got a 1998 Z28 Camaro, 5.7 lit Ls1, 6 speed manual.

Just recently i have noticed that it has been running hot 215F + and continues to rise when sitting at a light so I cannot drive it long. I know that the fans are kicking on, and I have plenty of coolant fluid. I have felt both hoses coming from the radiator ( the top and bottom, pretty sure Ls1 is reverse flow?) and they are both warm not hot. I have not got a radiator flush yet, assuming it is getting gunky in there and restricting flow. I know that the thermometer could be the issue, but i have no clue where it is located.

Does anyone got any ideas? anything at all that may steer me in the right direction?

thanks dudes.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The coolant temp sensor is the brass thing in the drivers side head right above and in front of the forward spark plug. Maybe thats the problem. But when a 1998 coolant temp sensor starts going bad, the engine will run horribly like its on 4 cylinders. Why, I don't know. But mine did years ago. I'm actually trying to find a problem with why mine just started missing 2 days ago and thats something I'm gonna check tomorrow. Its missing bad.

You could also have a t-stat that is not opening all the way. Also, I know you saisd your fans are working....but you need to make sure they are BOTH coming on "together" and BOTH going into "low" and "high" settings "together." If not, you will get hot while sitting still or in slow traffic.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
But when a 1998 coolant temp sensor starts going bad, the engine will run horribly like its on 4 cylinders. Why, I don't know. But
The PCM looks to the coolant temp sensor as one of the parameters to tell it how to run the car. So, if it kicks the bucket and reads -40, you might have some driving problems.

Lots of things can cause overheating. If the car has recently been worked on to where the hoses had to come off, I would first make sure there is no air in the system. An air pocket can cause some serious overheating.

The thermostat may be stuck. If you are standing in front of the car, on the middle of the left hand side you'll see a bulbous thing with a hose going to it, that's the thermostat housing - held on by 2 10mm bolts. New 'stats are usually $40-$50.

There could be trash in front of the radiator. If there is a lot of crap in the cooling fins (sticks, leaves, rats nest, plastic bag) it cannot dissipate that heat.

The air dam could be missing/broken. There is a black shroud type piece under the car that directs air upwards over the radiator.

It could need a flush. Maybe the coolant has gunked up and made it much harder for the car to cool.

Maybe a fan is bad, or both fans (did you make sure both were coming on?)
Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the theromostat and get a flush. had the same problem last summer; turns out my radiator was clogged
Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Hey thanks guys, all excellent stuff. Im going to check all the things that you said - I'll let you know how it goes
Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Great info! I'm having the same problem on my '01 WS6. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: My 98 camaro 5.7 lit is overheating!!