Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband placement

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wideband placement

I've already done a search for it on this site and I searched for it on HPtuners forums. I've gotten different answers from both. I've heard you could place the sensor in either the passanger side or drivers side collector, I've heard you could place it in the passanger side or drivers side rear O2 bung, I've also heard to place it before the bend in the Y pipe comming off the collector, after the rear O2 bung. I'm just tryin to figure out the best place for it. It's going to be in the car at all times, so I don't plan on taking it out. Thanks for any input in advance!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The closer to the head, the more accurate. And I think the theory is that the driver's side is usually more lean than the passenger side. So most run it on the driver side to to err more towards being rich than lean. But overall, it really doesn't matter. Whatever is easier for you is good enough.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Im planning on running mine close to the pre-cat ones on my headers. Im not running a y-pipe its got an x-pipe with race mufflers and dumps. I am also going to run two widebands with the FAST setup so I will be monitoring both banks. I dont plan on leaving them installed either as that fouls them up. Jon, does this sound like a good plan? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

If you're running permanently mount O2s you can wire them so that they will serve dual purpose as narrow bands for the PCM and wideband for your scanner. And just put them in the front O2 bungs on your exhaust.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Sounds good but I remember reading in the instructions that you shouldnt leave the widebands in there when youre not tuning cause it messes them up. But if im using them as my narrow band and wideband would that keep them heated so they wont get fouled?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Awesome thanks for your help!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lakelife79
Sounds good but I remember reading in the instructions that you shouldnt leave the widebands in there when youre not tuning cause it messes them up. But if im using them as my narrow band and wideband would that keep them heated so they wont get fouled?
You can run the widebands all the time if you wish, but they need to be powered on if you have them installed whenever the engine is running. I leave mine permanently installed in my driver's side header collector (Kooks includes two bungs on that side just for that purpose). LC-1 hooked to an XD-16 gauge so I can monitor the A/F ratio at all times.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Ok awesome, I actually just bought some kooks race headers and they should be here tonight. Ill check to see if they have two ports already. I bought the FAST wideband system and its the one that has two wideband sensors. It will work with either one or two installed. Should I only use one? I thought by using two you could get it more fined tuned by seeing both banks
Old 02-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

If it averages the two banks, go for it...I just didn't feel like paying for another LC-1 and running the extra wires. My car seems to run well as is, so I'm not too interested in spending more money to see if it helps.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Well just read this in the instructions for the FAST wideband setup:

Narrow Band Simulator Mode: This provides a narrow band output signal that simulates many OEM style air/fuel sensors. This will allow you to use the wide-band style sensor the FAST™ Air/Fuel Meter uses not only to serve the air/fuel meter, but to also run the engine’s computer. This mode is compatible only with pre-OBDII vehicles.

Looks like im going to have to remove them when im not tuning or have it turned on and installed all the time. Who makes your kit? Im new to this stuff and bought the fast system looks like there are better options out there.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Mine is an Innovate LC-1 - lots of people hate them though. I haven't really read up on widebands in a long time...I'm sure there are better options out there, but mine has worked well for so long that I haven't really cared to "upgrade". Haven't heard anything about the FAST, but that doesn't mean anything.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Hmm ok, looks like i will most likely run the wideband in the extra port mentioned and save the other sensor for another car/application down the road. This isnt my daily driver or anything. Only comes out for the dragstrip or open road racing events. So having it installed most of the time probably wont be a big deal. Just wanting the widebands installed to get this baby dailed in with the new parts for this season!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

I plan on getting the NGK AFX...I've heard pretty good things about it. Hopefully it will work good for me on getting a decent tune setup on my car
Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
If you're running permanently mount O2s you can wire them so that they will serve dual purpose as narrow bands for the PCM and wideband for your scanner. And just put them in the front O2 bungs on your exhaust.
How do you do that? That will save me installing two more bungs.

Quick Reply: Wideband placement