Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What are the major differences and improvements of CTSV's from 05-07

Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are the major differences and improvements of CTSV's from 05-07

Can I get some info about what the differences are between the 05's and 07 CTSV's? I've seen a few around and the 07's are just a little bit more than the 05 and 06's. So if someone can tell me if there was some major milestones between the years like the 09 thats supercharged that would be cool. I just wish i had the cash to pick up one of those

But for now I will be just getting an 07 or so.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

04-05= LS6
06-07= LS2

there ya go. lol thats it as far as major stuff goes.

the 06-07 also have steering wheel mounted stereo controls and an upgraded rear end but most 04-05 have already gotten the upgraded rear under warranty. otherwise the cars are basically identical. your just paying for a newer car and some have some of the factory warranty left.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That about sums it up.. I would say that u should drive both years to deside which one you like more! I chose the 2005 because it felt to me that it was more trqy then the 2006 that I drove which felt a lot more smooth in the trq curve...
Old 02-15-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

i couldnt feel much difference lol, but the ls2 i drove was a piece of crap(thats why it was priced the same as an 05 lol)
Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

wow really? the LS2 is a piece of crap? do the 08's come with an ls3 like the c6's?

I wonder why the ls6's are better than the ls2's i always was under the impression that the ls2 improved on the ls6's. Mann this is interesting, now im having second thoughts about getting this 07. I wish it was closer so I could test drive it.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Killer
wow really? the LS2 is a piece of crap? do the 08's come with an ls3 like the c6's?

I wonder why the ls6's are better than the ls2's i always was under the impression that the ls2 improved on the ls6's. Mann this is interesting, now im having second thoughts about getting this 07. I wish it was closer so I could test drive it.
Now you have done it! There is essentially NO difference in performance between a LS6 and LS2 CTS-V. I would focus your search on the Paint/Interior color you want, and as much warranty as possibly.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SkullV
Now you have done it! There is essentially NO difference in performance between a LS6 and LS2 CTS-V. I would focus your search on the Paint/Interior color you want, and as much warranty as possibly.
hahaha focus on the paint and interior and warranty... thats a good one. I'm not female and warranties never mattered much to me. I had started modifying my ws6 the day after i bought it! I just want the best bang for the buck and the best foundation for some mods. This will be getting me back into an LSX car since my trans am and I want to have a little fun with it while daily driving comfortably. I figured I'd get one of these instead of an 08 c6, since it has a back seat and having kiddos it makes more sense for now.

I just thought that the ls2 was a better engine than the ls6, but i've been out of the loop for a while so i just dont know anymore
Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

sorry you misinterpreted my statement. I test drove an 06 with the LS2 and the car was rough(as in bad shape), and I couldnt feel any difference in power between the ls6 and ls2. there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ls2 or the ls6. sorry for the misunderstanding. with the rear being how they are, you may wish you had a warranty when that bill for 2500 comes around. id do some searches and more before you make up your mind. seems like you have a lot to learn about the V
Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Killer
hahaha focus on the paint and interior and warranty... thats a good one. I'm not female and warranties never mattered much to me. I had started modifying my ws6 the day after i bought it! I just want the best bang for the buck and the best foundation for some mods. This will be getting me back into an LSX car since my trans am and I want to have a little fun with it while daily driving comfortably. I figured I'd get one of these instead of an 08 c6, since it has a back seat and having kiddos it makes more sense for now.

I just thought that the ls2 was a better engine than the ls6, but i've been out of the loop for a while so i just dont know anymore
With the rear end that is in this car you are going to be BEGGING for a warranty. It is not uncommon for people to be on their third or more rear end at close to stock power levels. You need to decide if you want a drag/straight line car or a road course car. If you want the drag car I would wait on a V until a more affordable rear end solution comes around.

And if all you want is bang for your buck, then buy an 04 with 100k+ miles on it. It is almost the same as an 07.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

From what ive seen with a power adder the LS2 can take more power and more of a beating. It all really depends on your goals
Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by y2kfrc
From what ive seen with a power adder the LS2 can take more power and more of a beating. It all really depends on your goals
more displacement 6.0>5.7=more airflow and power from boost..............as far as beating i dont know if its that much more if any. but it is a truck motor so who knows? lol
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by y2kfrc
my goals are just to have something fun to drive around that sounds good, looks good and drives good... not too much to ask.

I will probably do a set of headers, exhaust, cold air intake and a cam to start off ... form there who knows. Once I get the car I will research out some of the best mods to do and take it from there. Right now is the decision on which to buy a newer 07 model or an older 05, 06 model... all the ones i've been looking at have been averaging 20k-35k miles so thats basically the same to me.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

if your not worried about warranty, id go with an 05 and put the money you save from buying an 06-07 towards your mods. that should easily pay for long tubes, exhaust and possibly cam
Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
sorry you misinterpreted my statement. I test drove an 06 with the LS2 and the car was rough(as in bad shape), and I couldnt feel any difference in power between the ls6 and ls2. there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ls2 or the ls6. sorry for the misunderstanding. with the rear being how they are, you may wish you had a warranty when that bill for 2500 comes around. id do some searches and more before you make up your mind. seems like you have a lot to learn about the V
Yes I do have alot to learn about the V thats for sure! Ive been an fbody guy my entire life and i've owned and built a bunch! Right now I just want a daily driver thats fun and I could take on a road course or so, i'm not much of a 1/4 mi guy its all about the open road racing for me.

I have been reading about the rear ends in these things not being the strongest thats for sure. Thats kinda why i've been leaning towards an 07 since they do actually have warranty left and with some minor mods I'm sure some of the local dealers wont void my warranty over them. Hell I got a brand new T-56 in my WS6 amongst some other things under warranty and there wasnt much that was stock on that thing! As a matter of fact all the techs use to come out to see what all I had done to it since the last time I was in there. So hopefully the dealers are cool as well...

To be honest I'm still swaying toward either this 07 or an 06 both have between 23k-35k miles and a price gap of only a few grand. So i'm more apt to take the lower milage car which is the 07. I'm just still on the fence and have alot of catching up to do on these V's! They seem really kick *** though and I really cant wait to get my hands on one.

Are they as nice and fun to drive as they look?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

im 21, have had a blown 5.0, 87 buick ttype, 98 SS in sig and a couple others in there as well and never held onto any of them long. I think ill wind up keeping the V until i HAVE to get rid of it. Its a blast and is always fun to drive and i daily drive it i just cant get enough of it.

As far as dealers not minding mods, remember you bought the ws6 in 99-00? not now when Gm is in the worst shape they have been in forever. They arent gonna pay for parts and service on a car that has mods when they can say no because they have a reason to. Its happened to many people so i wouldnt count on it being like it used to. My dealer has been prety good with known problems like the rear and Nav buttons peeling etc, but if you take it in with long tubes, a magnacharger etc and say the motor or tranny blew.....they may be inclined to laugh in your face. just my .02.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
im 21, have had a blown 5.0, 87 buick ttype, 98 SS in sig and a couple others in there as well and never held onto any of them long. I think ill wind up keeping the V until i HAVE to get rid of it. Its a blast and is always fun to drive and i daily drive it i just cant get enough of it.

As far as dealers not minding mods, remember you bought the ws6 in 99-00? not now when Gm is in the worst shape they have been in forever. They arent gonna pay for parts and service on a car that has mods when they can say no because they have a reason to. Its happened to many people so i wouldnt count on it being like it used to. My dealer has been prety good with known problems like the rear and Nav buttons peeling etc, but if you take it in with long tubes, a magnacharger etc and say the motor or tranny blew.....they may be inclined to laugh in your face. just my .02.
yeah im sure its way different than back in the early 2000's and ofcourse if you brought it in with a magnacharger with a blown engine and tranny they would give you **** for it. But long tubes im sure they would be cool with ... meh... i dont care I still want one. It seems like a bad *** car fun to drive and can haul the kiddos around in. So its a win win until i get enough cash to by a ZR1 corvette!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Launching!

The difference in the two motors is just tw different things. the LS6-5.7L, LS2-6.0L. Power between the two is the same 395hp, 400tq. LS6 peak tq is at 4800rpm, LS2 peak tq is at 4500rpm. Peak hp is the same on both.

As for the rear end. From what I have learned and read...I would ay majority of the 04-05 V's have had the rear replaced with the newer 06-07 model rear.

If you want a lower mileage then get the 06-07, if you want more bang for the buck get the 04-05. Do not let anything performance wise in stock form tell you which one to get...

There is just one very tough decision you need to make when purchasing a V...as stated above...color combo! What do you want?

Correct me if I am wrong but:
04-05 Black or Silver exterior--interior Black or Tan
06-07 Black, Silver, Red, Steel Blue--interiro Black or Tan
--I got the "tan" interior but it seems to be more of a very light greyish tan color.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TriGuy
The difference in the two motors is just tw different things. the LS6-5.7L, LS2-6.0L. Power between the two is the same 395hp, 400tq. LS6 peak tq is at 4800rpm, LS2 peak tq is at 4500rpm. Peak hp is the same on both.

As for the rear end. From what I have learned and read...I would ay majority of the 04-05 V's have had the rear replaced with the newer 06-07 model rear.

If you want a lower mileage then get the 06-07, if you want more bang for the buck get the 04-05. Do not let anything performance wise in stock form tell you which one to get...

There is just one very tough decision you need to make when purchasing a V...as stated above...color combo! What do you want?

--I got the "tan" interior but it seems to be more of a very light greyish tan color.
Yeah I want a black with black interior, i was considering the silver with black, but i'm rather undecided at this point. I'm just doing my homework on these to make the right choice. They seem like great cars and I can't go wrong with whatever year I choose. I just want to get the most for my money. There are a few 07's in the area, so I will probably go with one of those. Its good to know about the rear end in the 04-05's though, since that isnt something that i'd want to get involved with fixing or paying out of pocket on.

Is there any differences between the 07's and 08's? I haven't really seen any 08's for sale, but I figured i'd ask in case I find one. I would love to get my hands on an 09 or 10 with the supercharged engine, but that's a bit expensive for my taste right now.

Also, do these things play regular DVD's? I see that they come with dvd players? That would be cool for the little guy as well.

Any advise on what to look for when buying used, besides the normal abuse and maintenance records? Sorry for all the questions, i feel like a newb asking everything, but i'm just doing my homework to get the right car and i'm new to these caddys. So Sorry for the newb questions
Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriGuy
If your interior looks to be light gray, you probably have the light gray interior instead of the tan. Interior color options are Black, Light Gray or Tan.

Exterior options are:

2004-05: Stealth Gray, Black Raven, Light Platinum, Redline
2006-07: Thunder Grey, Black Raven, Light Platinum, Infared
Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

No V was made in 08, but if you find one buy it lol jk. but seriously no V in 08......and yes to play a DVD you pop out the NAV disc out put in a DVD it will play and if you look on cadillacfaq.com it will show you how to play the movie while your moving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the major differences and improvements of CTSV's from 05-07