Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Thinking of using your stock driveshaft with your new MWC fab'ed rear?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thinking of using your stock driveshaft with your new MWC fab'ed rear?

Well I decided not to get a new/stronger driveshaft when I ordered my MWC rear. I finally got the chance to take her to the track over the weekend and got 4 good runs in, but not hooking up due to it being my first time with this setup. On the 5th run I decided on a 5k rpm launch, since I was bogging on lower rpm launches earlier.....well that resulted in a snapped driveshaft! Moral of the story, order a driveshaft with your new rear end!!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, holy ****! Im definitely getting a DS with my setup.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Wow hopefully nothing else got damaged. Glad I called Eric back and told him to go ahead with the new driveshaft. This is what I didnt want. How much hp are you running?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or just get a steel LT1 DS if you dont have the cash... I have dun many 5k launches with mine.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Thats a good wall ornmint know.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrbackls1
Wow hopefully nothing else got damaged. Glad I called Eric back and told him to go ahead with the new driveshaft. This is what I didnt want. How much hp are you running?
Maybe the typical 350whp. Never been on the dyno. Kooks 1 7/8th headers, 3" mandrel bent Y pipe into 4" flomaster merge, cutout, ls6 intake, slp lid, tune. I think the m/t's and good track prep caused this one, not my power.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ why i go over this with every one of my customers. this guy got lucky as it is possible to do floorpan, exhaust, transmission, and maybe rearend damage when there is a driveshaft failure. if you have a problem with your driveshaft like this and there is any other damage, chances are it will cost much more to fix your damage than what the good driveshaft would have in the beginning, and then you still have to buy a good driveshaft!!! the general rule of thumb is that if you need a stronger rearend of any sort, you need a good driveshaft to go with it as well. the stock aluminum driveshaft is weak at best and is better for someone to sell it off to someone that is looking for a good used one and recoupe some of the money for a good one that will last. We offer both PST and Strange driveshafts that work very well in these cars.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I could at least drive mine around some on the street, but the VERY first time I hammered it hard, this is what happened to my stocker (new PST is on the left). It also was bent some but not near like yours is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of using your stock driveshaft with your new MWC fab'ed rear?