Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my starter go out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Did my starter go out?

Seems a simple diagnosis but want to make sure. Just got the car home yesterday. I got home and it did the click with no turn over twice, then started once. Shut the car off and went back to start it and now I get a click from around the starter, assumably the solenoid. Security light is on sometimes off sometimes, and the click only happens when the clutch is pushed in so not a nuetral safety. Just checking before I take it to the shop.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost sounds like a battery, put some cables to see if it will turn on before u go and get charged an arm and a leg. If it turns on that means your battery is bad. Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1sicss
almost sounds like a battery, put some cables to see if it will turn on before u go and get charged an arm and a leg. If it turns on that means your battery is bad. Just a thought.
Battery sat on a charger for half an hour, lights and all accessories are good. My mechanic is a family friend and cheap thought so thats a good thing.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mite be the alternator...when i had a 99 camaro it went out on me and everything was slow and dead even after we had the battery on the charger soon it would die slowly n slowly lol it would just do the click click click click
Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos07
mite be the alternator...when i had a 99 camaro it went out on me and everything was slow and dead even after we had the battery on the charger soon it would die slowly n slowly lol it would just do the click click click click
You can always pull the starter out and have it tested at a rewinding shop or have the Battery and alternator tested on the car at Advance, Autozone etc...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Launching!

It was the starter. Swapped it out today.