View Full Version : What are the consequences of getting pulled over with nitrous?

Sir Harmony
02-18-2010, 01:32 AM
What are the consequences of having an unused nitrous bottle in your vehicle? I often wonder what would happen if I was pulled over by a state trooper, and the 'disconnected' bottle of nitrous was discovered. Since its disconnected, would there be an issue?

What if the bottle is empty? I mean the feed lines to the motor are visible, but disconnected. Would an empty bottle vs. full make a difference?

j_dover
02-18-2010, 01:59 AM
here in georga you are fine as long as the feed line is disconnected from the bottle

edzsilverss
02-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Here in Texas the cops spray to keep up with us til the helecopter is called in.

ttranssam
02-18-2010, 02:02 AM
depend on state here...im ok

itsslow98
02-18-2010, 02:05 AM
in MD i doubt they would even look, but ultimately i guess they could impound your vehicle and give you some tickets. I still dont understand why it is illegal when you can make as much hp as you want with forced induction etc.

SSdimension
02-18-2010, 03:57 AM
in MD i doubt they would even look, but ultimately i guess they could impound your vehicle and give you some tickets. I still dont understand why it is illegal when you can make as much hp as you want with forced induction etc.

The reason for that being is that nitrous is more hazardous. I would think because it would catch on fire. I seen a lot of f body's catch on fire. But nitrous itself is not flammable. But if your f body for some reason caught on fire(electrical) then the oxygen from the nitrous will make it into a big ass fire that could possibly kill you within seconds of the fire. But hey what are the chances of catching a fire in the back, unless someone rear ends you. I would think maybe to make some kind of Nitrous license or something? That would be fair. Take a nitrous class and you can run nitrous :D

and op in Texas they tow your vehicle and some tickets. Dont know about 2 or 3 time offenders though. A quick purge at the stop light could be construed as a "display of speed". If the cop wanted to be a toad, he could ticket you for that.

disc0monkey
02-18-2010, 08:16 AM
NJ needs a permit.

bill12690
02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
i asked a cop here in TX, and he said as far as he knew, nothing. disconnected or not...

i'm still looking to get a second opinion..

Golf&GM
02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
In VA it's not illegal or the cops don't care. I don't think it's the nitrous itself that's the hazzard but the pressurized bottle. If your car caught on fire there's a good chance that bottle will heat up to the point that it will explode and blow the back half of your car to bits. But if you had a fire proof blow down tube I doubt anything would explode...

its turbo time
02-18-2010, 11:07 AM
i've been pulled over multiple times in MO and my bottle is clearly visible between the back seats and i have never had a cop even mention anything about it....(knock on wood)

ShiznityZ28
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
In md you cna have it but your supposed to have dot decals so if you don't it illeagle. they normally don't mess with you if its not connected.

ShiznityZ28
02-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Im always more worried when we go to a race with 2 75lb mother bottles and 5 15lb bottles in the back. lol

Z06kern
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
In Indiana they don't care. Had a state trooper basically stick his entire head in my drivers window. He was smelling for liquor and saw the bottles and said nothing. Let me go after he asked how fast my vette ran in the 1/4.

Chris@NitroDaves
02-18-2010, 05:13 PM
There are some states that have laws against having nitrous in the car period. There are some that have laws where you have nitrous in the car but the bottle can't be hooked up and there are some states that dint give two shits if you have nitrous in the car.

I know I've been pulled over several times in TX and i haven't gotten a citation or had the officer even blink at the fact that i had a bottle in open view hooked up.

Silver408z
02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
The reason for that being is that nitrous is more hazardous. I would think because it would catch on fire. I seen a lot of f body's catch on fire. But nitrous itself is not flammable. But if your f body for some reason caught on fire(electrical) then the oxygen from the nitrous will make it into a big ass fire that could possibly kill you within seconds of the fire. But hey what are the chances of catching a fire in the back, unless someone rear ends you. I would think maybe to make some kind of Nitrous license or something? That would be fair. Take a nitrous class and you can run nitrous :D

and op in Texas they tow your vehicle and some tickets. Dont know about 2 or 3 time offenders though. A quick purge at the stop light could be construed as a "display of speed". If the cop wanted to be a toad, he could ticket you for that.

Nitrous itself is not flammable. You have to mix a fuel with nitrous to make it burn. Nitrous is just oxygen and oxygen by itself does not burn. It requires a fuel.

Oxygen + fuel + spark = fire

Mark1si
02-18-2010, 06:23 PM
In Indiana they don't care. Had a state trooper basically stick his entire head in my drivers window. He was smelling for liquor and saw the bottles and said nothing. Let me go after he asked how fast my vette ran in the 1/4.

That is good to know!:D

Sir Harmony
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
In md you cna have it but your supposed to have dot decals so if you don't it illeagle. they normally don't mess with you if its not connected.

Good to know. I'm in MD, and this is the same place a friend was pulled over in 9years ago, and had his vehicle thoroughly searched, starting with opening his hood for inspection. The exhaust was checked as well. The car was towed, his license suspended, etc, etc, but then again he was street racing.

So is there a site that lists the different state laws, or do I have to check each state law? And I have a feeling that counties may make up their own laws as well.

its turbo time
02-18-2010, 11:02 PM
i've heard that here in MO its legal to have in your car, but its illegal to use on public roads...go figure

matrik
02-19-2010, 07:33 AM
In VA it's not illegal or the cops don't care. I don't think it's the nitrous itself that's the hazzard but the pressurized bottle. If your car caught on fire there's a good chance that bottle will heat up to the point that it will explode and blow the back half of your car to bits. But if you had a fire proof blow down tube I doubt anything would explode...

I thought in VA it had to be disconnected if they check?

Justins00ss
02-19-2010, 07:55 AM
In Mass I had a cop spot my bottle between the back seats, it was empty and disconnected and he was trying to tell my I needed a HAZMAT card. I was like WTF?? its only a 10lb bottle and its empty. He was OK after that.

I now live in florida and my friend Greg is a local cop and has a built SS with spray and he told me that most cops down here wont even care.

ryarbrough
02-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I thought in VA it had to be disconnected if they check?

You are correct. Some cops don't care though.

NHRATA01
02-19-2010, 01:59 PM
A lot of the state laws I've read seem rather outdated and are more targeted for penalties of open nitrous containers used for huffing which was more common back in the 70s and 80s. NJ does have a very basic permit process to get permission to transport nitrous. Now many do have laws saying it is illegal to use on the road, but that's a bit harder to prove. But as long as the line is disconnected, you should be fine.

My opinion - take the bottle out if you have no plans to use it. There is always the risk of carrying a pressurized cylinder in your car that it can rupture if hit in an accident or exposed to fire (the burst disk is not a guarantee the gas will be vented safely in either case). Or in the least mount the bottle in a hidden location so it won't even be noticed by law enforcement.

Common sense will keep you out of trouble 95% of the time.

disc0monkey
02-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Or in the least mount the bottle in a hidden location so it won't even be noticed by law enforcement.

Common sense will keep you out of trouble 95% of the time.

+1 :nod:

sleeperstyle
02-19-2010, 07:30 PM
this has come up tons of times on here. i haven't personally read or heard of anybody getting a fine for having a bottle in the car, connected or disconnected.

i've been pulled over numerous times, my bottle is always connected, and i've never had any issues. the cop will give me shit about it sometimes but i just say i only use it at the track:secret2:

theguyulove2hate
02-19-2010, 09:07 PM
The last I heard in FL is that it can be in your car and hooked up. But if they get you for speeding, excessive acceleration, ect they will fine you for using it on a public road. Or if the cop is a DB they can right you a ticket for not having a valve protector on.

1904gto
02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
here in CA. it all depends on the officer who pulls you over , my buddy got pulled over in his c4 which had 2 stages and ran a 5.90 and the cop was cool and let him go, i think the worst that could happen here in ca. is a reff ticket probably

cbra-klla
02-22-2010, 05:20 PM

I got a ticket 2 years ago in VA for having a bottle hooked up. Judge fined me $25

custm2500
02-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I got pulled over in my probe years ago and the bottle was visible. It was a small town cop and he didn't care or say a thing. I don't know if he just press the issue or just didn't care. My guess is in Ohio most cops won't bother you.