Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shock install help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock install help!!

i just installed my slp bileteins and my relo brackets. but when i was done tightening everything else up i still had to tighten the nut on top of the shock. i realized that the this shock has a hex bit on it but i couldnt get it to tight. was in a rush had to get to a class.

on the rear shocks that is

so do i hold the hex in there while tightening the nut with an open end wrench? kinda like waht i had to do to get the old de carbons off? help please and thank you
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah you can do that or if you have an impact that'll usually work and not spin the shock
Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

if the shaft is spinning when you try to tighten it then yes, you have to hold it with another tool.

You already said you had to do that to get the old ones off, so why the question? wasn't it obvious to you?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
if the shaft is spinning when you try to tighten it then yes, you have to hold it with another tool.

You already said you had to do that to get the old ones off, so why the question? wasn't it obvious to you?

On one hand, I agree. But on the other hand, "young enthusiastic mechanics" sometimes get caught up in the moment, and overlook the simple things. That's how they/I became "experienced mechanics".......
Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Teching In

ya thats what i had to do. and yes i am a young enthusiastic mechanic lol i was in a rush i wanted to get everything done before i went to my class so i wasnt thinking that clearly. so me and my buddy just drove his car to class.

and i finished the shocks when we got back. so all is good. and the ride is so much more firm now i love it.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know putting new parts on can be exciting but a word of advice for future installs, take your time and make sure it's done right.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DCfirebird967
ya thats what i had to do. and yes i am a young enthusiastic mechanic lol i was in a rush i wanted to get everything done before i went to my class so i wasnt thinking that clearly. so me and my buddy just drove his car to class.

and i finished the shocks when we got back. so all is good. and the ride is so much more firm now i love it.
cool! good job.

sorry for being a smart ***, but it was a silly question.

glad you took care of it.

Quick Reply: shock install help!!