Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Possibly moving to FL......

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Possibly moving to FL......

Me and the wife are looking to move to the florida area. Most likely we will be in the lakeland area or orlando suburbs. What do you guys love/hate about living there? Weve been on vacation there and found the general population to be friendly and helpful, and of course the entertainment level is beyond what anyone really needs. I'm 25, shes 23. Shes an electronic services rep at a credit union here and im currently a ford technician. Ill be looking for most likely a ford or chevy dealership with an open service advisor posistion, as she'll be looking at banks and credit unions. Also what community and 2 year colleges are located near orlando? Im currently going to school for my A.S. in Police Sciences and will be looking to move into the federal or state law enforcement areas. Im looking for all the input I can get from anyone and everyone.

Also some specialized info...

Any LEO's on here from the orlando area?
Any real estate agents on here?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a hike from lakeland to orlando. Its about an hour drive.

Lakeland is a very small, laid back town. Very country.

I dont think a young couple would like that
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Tampa is the place to be
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLS1STEVE
Tampa is the place to be
+1 on that one.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go county/city/state you will have to go through the six month program. You could look into Orange County and see if they are doing sponsorships. That is one agency that always seems to be hiring. Personally I could never stand the traffic out that way.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Im leaning more towards federal, but i'll be doing local here so that 6 month program may be waived since id already have experience, but a 6 month program is no big deal either way.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Its only 30 minutes to Orlando from Lakeland and about 45 minutes to Tampa so your right in the middle of the two but yes like afore mentioned there isn't much to do in Lakeland but's its close to Orlando and Tampa which has plenty to do.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Tampa is nice but you can get alot more for your money if you buy around the lakeland area, orlando sucks for traffic plus you better learn how to speak spanish LOL ,very busy over there with all the tourist i wouldn't want to live there ! Just visit.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Orlando isn't honestly that bad in traffic aslong as you stay away from i4 and the 528 in the afternoons. If i were you i would call around to delerships first to find a job
Old 02-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls1N20
Orlando isn't honestly that bad in traffic aslong as you stay away from i4 and the 528 in the afternoons. If i were you i would call around to delerships first to find a job
Dude i use to go over there at least 2 to 3 times a week & sometimes stay there for a week for work & traffic was always bad & in season it's a night mare. maybe you just got use to it. LOL now it's nice up around sanford area but any where close to town just forget about. sure you can live in the subs around orlando but you'll more then likely work in town. JMO like i said nice place to visit but !
Old 02-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Launching!

if you stay away from downtown orlando your fine. I travel from silverstar to orange and michigan everyday. and it's not too too bad
Old 02-28-2010, 01:56 PM
The House is Rockin'

ive always liked altamonte springs, orlando is a freaking zoo in the season. not to mention crazy tourist drivers...

if you want country try ocala! thats where im at
Old 02-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Or Deland, i live in both Orlando and Deland. Deland is a mellow city.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im from the FT. Luaderdale and Miami down south but currently live in orlando for college at UCF. Valencia is a good community college or UCF is a great university depending on what your looking for. With that said Miami has better traffic than Orlando and is much larger idk who designed the highways and transportation systems in orlando but id like to kick em in the nuts. I dont even attempt to enter any of the highways around here until 7-8 at night. It may not be a big deal for you but since I grew up down south I really miss the ocean so you may want to consider the cocoa beach area or Tampa area orlando isnt bad its just land locked for about 45 min to either ocean.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Teching In

I was working there so much i did get to learn a bunch of short cuts & back roads, which i have now forgotten all of them LOL but once your there for awhile you can get around the traffic, hey it sucks over here in pasco now to. there's only two roads you can take going south to work in clearwater. U.S 19 & McMullen booth RD & they both suck in the morning & evening. there is the suncoast but that's not always a good option.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
The House is Rockin'

i grew up in port st lucie/jensen beach area. and the beaches def suck up here, i miss down south so bad...
Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Or Deland, i live in both Orlando and Deland. Deland is a mellow city.
Illegals Haven. I-4 just sucks *** from Daytona to Tampa, period.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Illegals Haven. I-4 just sucks *** from Daytona to Tampa, period.
I beg to differ. Daytona to Deland is nice and what do you mean illegals haven

Oh immigrants hahaha. Where we live, the neighbors look out for each other, really no discrimination, everytimei pull in or we make eye contact it's hello sir how ya doing. Everywhere. it's weird sometimes.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

I beg to differ. Daytona to Deland is nice and what do you mean illegals haven

Oh immigrants hahaha. Where we live, the neighbors look out for each other, really no discrimination, everytimei pull in or we make eye contact it's hello sir how ya doing. Everywhere. it's weird sometimes.
Being "associated" with law enforcement and health care in Volusia County, I kinda know what goes on in Deland and it would infuriate most legal citizens. Your neighbors most likely speak English and work, I have NO problem with that. It's the problem makers and non-English speaking mothers that just had their 5th kid, on our dime. Guess who is supporting the other kids. Nothing towards you dude, you sound pretty easy going. I-4 still sucks, hope we can at least agree on that, right? lol
Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

BURNING HOT IN SUMMER, TOO HOT. Also rains almost everyday in summer passing storms everyday for about an hour. I"m a fan of no snow. So eventually going to Cali. Way too hot down here, Brutal. Great luck to you. John

Quick Reply: Possibly moving to FL......