Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blew Something.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blew Something.

Well, Friday night I was running my boy for fun on the freeway. And all of a sudden I smelled a burning oder (can't really discribe it). Started to get off the freeway, and when I accel. it started to back fire. So I pullled over, and the oil dipstick popped off, oil everywhere.

1. oil was a mocha color.
2. there was coolant on the dipstick after I cleaned it and checked the oil again.
3. Just a small amount (diamiter of a silver dollar) oil on ground (must of dripped off something that got covered with it).

So I beleive it has to do with the way my PCV is set up. So heres a breakdown....

1. Ran a line from the Pass. Frt. Valve cover, to a catchcan (homemade ) that goes to the inlet hat for the Blower.
2. I then Swapped over to the LS6 style valley cover (Plugged Dvr RR, and Pass. RR valve cover). and T-ed off of the line that goes to the catchcan. LIke ATI said to.

Now my catch can had some goowey stuff (kinda like mocha pudding) Called ATI and they said it was just mostoire.

So what do u guys suggest . I m gonna tear down the heads and see if it's just a head gasket.

But should I get that oneway valve from McMaster? and if I do, what is the part number? Also, should I reroute the hose from the valley cover to the Intake manifold, and add a checkvalve into it?

Sorry for being so long, and all the ?'s. Have had numerous problems with this.

TIA.
Mike
Old 12-27-2003, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear about ur engine man. 10lbs is pushing it on a stock motor though. I know that having coolant mix with oil is a major problem. Try taking the oil cap off and turn on the car. Then put ur hand on instead of the cap and try to feel if there is air or pressure inside. If there is air inside it could be a bad ring or piston. If not it could be just a head gasket.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a blown head gasket. The mocha stuff your talking about is coolant and oil. Sorry. A cracked ring or piston would not let coolant into your oil unless you poped a hole in the cylinder wall which would be very noisy. DO NOT run the engine with coolant in the oil it will wreck your bearings. pull the heads and check the head gaskets for blowouts also i`d have the heads pressure tested just in case.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bud,honestly....Sounds like you blew a head gasket. and 10psi is little high to pushing on the stock bottom end.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:29 PM
Launching!

thanks guys,

I know 10lbs is alot for a stock LS1, but I love to .
I knew it would come one day.

So should I drop the oil pan? And what shoul I clean everthing up with?

But I will start on the hads 2morrow.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I would drop the pan and get everything cleaned back up and before putting on a factory had gasket back on try looking for some taller gaskets. they will lower your compression down a couple of points. As far as wat to clean everything up with, I dont know....Ill let some of the gurus tell what to clean the internals with.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:09 AM
8 Second Club

don't drop the pan yet ( you can't drop it till the engine is out any way), pull the heads off and see if they are ok or if the gasket is ok.
now did the car drive or run right after that happened or did it die on you?
did the hoses for your pcv setup blow out or are they still in place?

to tell you the truth, if the dipstick was thrown out if it's hole that means the crank case got pressurized ; which means either a holed piston or even worse, a cracked block. ( unless !.... the dipstick has a history of loosining up and going out of it's place ( mine did ) and it so happened to do that when the head gasket blew from the side and puked oil and coolant all over the place, but thats my conspiracy theory)

don't get thicker gaskets. that is only a bandaid fix that will cause more problems than it will fix. putting on a thicker gasket to lower the compression messes up your squish ( or quench) area in the head. this leads to detonation and loss of power ( ask me how i know )

you should lower your compression with a set of 6.0 heads and use cometic head gaskets that have the oring in them ( hp series i think) . they work great and the oring provides a great seal while the heads properly lower your compression.

sorry for making this reply so long.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i bet you cracked a ringland. (broke a piston) and i bet its #7

the low buck (hope approach) is to drain the oil, see how much water is in it.. and do a compression test.. see if one is way low.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doh! and we were just talking on wed how well the car was holding up to the boost at Ricks shop.

good luck with it.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i bet you cracked a ringland. (broke a piston) and i bet its #7

the low buck (hope approach) is to drain the oil, see how much water is in it.. and do a compression test.. see if one is way low.
Well I pulled most of the topend off. I pulled the drivers side plugs out. and the pic attached. the plug on the far right is #7.

#1, and #3, came out pretty good. and #5, and #7, got messed up.
SO 2morrow, I m gonna take off the head itself, and see if the is damage to the pistons.
Attached Thumbnails Blew Something.-5-7-plug.jpg  
Old 12-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by sscamaro387
Well I pulled most of the topend off. I pulled the drivers side plugs out. and the pic attached. the plug on the far right is #7.

#1, and #3, came out pretty good. and #5, and #7, got messed up.
SO 2morrow, I m gonna take off the head itself, and see if the is damage to the pistons.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch.

bet you find all kinds of piston / ringland chunks when you pull the head off.

did you ever get it retuned when you moved to the D1 ????

guess that engine work you were talking about getting has been moved up on the list.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:00 AM
Launching!

ya it was tuned, and I emptied the oil pan, and only oil and coolant came out. no chuns of metal, or anything.

and the motor work is being done worked out right now.

Quick Reply: Blew Something.