Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rack and pinion make clicking noise when going out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rack and pinion make clicking noise when going out?

Does the rack and pinion make clicking noise when it's going out?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Does the rack and pinion make clicking noise when it's going out?

You didn't say what you were doing when you hear the noise.
If you hear clicking and popping from the front end, it depends on what you're doing when it makes that noise.
In my experience, clicking and popping is usually related to the ball joints needing to be replaced. Since your sig says a 98, it's possible it's time. Mine is a 98 and I just had to do mine last summer. It was clicking and popping on turns. If you think it's only one side, do both sides anyways. To do only one side and then have to turn around do the other soon wouldn't make sense.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
If you hear clicking and popping from the front end, it depends on what you're doing when it makes that noise.
In my experience, clicking and popping is usually related to the ball joints needing to be replaced. Since your sig says a 98, it's possible it's time. Mine is a 98 and I just had to do mine last summer. It was clicking and popping on turns. If you think it's only one side, do both sides anyways. To do only one side and then have to turn around do the other soon wouldn't make sense.

Yep.

My buds c4 has this problem and the boot off the rack had ripped off and was dragging the ribs of the boot making this sound. I would fully replace everything.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Oops. I did forget that. It makes that noise when I'm turning the wheel. My Dad got down and said it sounds like it's coming from the rack and pinion. I jacked the driver side up a bit so he could get under there more and when I turned the wheel that time it wasn't making the clicking/popping noise.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Yep.

My buds c4 has this problem and the boot off the rack had ripped off and was dragging the ribs of the boot making this sound. I would fully replace everything.
Wow. Mine is still intact. lol.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Oops. I did forget that. It makes that noise when I'm turning the wheel. My Dad got down and said it sounds like it's coming from the rack and pinion. I jacked the driver side up a bit so he could get under there more and when I turned the wheel that time it wasn't making the clicking/popping noise.
Wow. Mine is still intact. lol.
Like I said, check the ball joints. The poster above was talking about a C4, not an f-body. If it's making the noise on the ground, and not when it's lifted, its because the suspension is loaded and putting pressure on the ball joints.
Sometimes it's the simple things and not the complex ones. I haven't heard very much about Rack and Pinions going bad on our cars, but I've had firsthand experience with the ball joints.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Like I said, check the ball joints. The poster above was talking about a C4, not an f-body. If it's making the noise on the ground, and not when it's lifted, its because the suspension is loaded and putting pressure on the ball joints.
Sometimes it's the simple things and not the complex ones. I haven't heard very much about Rack and Pinions going bad on our cars, but I've had firsthand experience with the ball joints.
We did check the ball joints. Surprisingly, we didn't see any greasing points either.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Launching!

We did check the ball joints. Surprisingly, we didn't see any greasing points either.
Idk, I still think it's the ball joints. It's hard to tell if ball joints are bad just by looking at them unless they're completely tore up. Usually it's by the noise they make. But let us know when you figure it out. I'm curious as to what you find is the problem. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Idk, I still think it's the ball joints. It's hard to tell if ball joints are bad just by looking at them unless they're completely tore up. Usually it's by the noise they make. But let us know when you figure it out. I'm curious as to what you find is the problem. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

Good luck.
Well, my Dad said when the ball joints are bad they typically make noise when going over bumps or whatever. I only get noise when I'm turning, and I can narrow down where when I'm turning, meaning I can find the right spot and I only have to turn the wheel back and forth slightly to get the popping noise.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Default I know you posted this months ago

but the clicking on turns is a cv axle. its close enough to the rack and pinion but much easier to switch out.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FreeFlying
but the clicking on turns is a cv axle. its close enough to the rack and pinion but much easier to switch out.
He doesn't have CV axles.

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion make clicking noise when going out?