Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone running Eibach Pro Kit with Koni's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Anyone running Eibach Pro Kit with Koni's?

Just curious to know how you like it. I have a set of Eibach LT1 Pro Kit springs from my car I just sold I was going to use on my new car. I had a set of bilsteins with it and they were nice but on long trips it would become uncomfortable after an hour or two. Any way, just curious to know how these pair up together since I already have the springs. Thanks for any input.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Your front is going to be a little higher than it was with the Camaro..the LS1 is lighter than the LT1.

Just something to keep in mind..not sure wether it will be stiffer or softer though.

The LT1 ones will be nice to have when the time comes for you to upgrade to a real Engine.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

A friend has the LS1 Prokit on Konis. To me, the ride feels harsher and more uncomfortable than Konis on stock springs.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm.... Well hell. I guess I'll have to just throw them away... I liked them with my SLP bilsteins except for really long drives but I'm going to blame that on a seat with having only about half the cushion it should. I just thought the Koni's would be a little nicer but maybe I'll just have to order another set of bilsteins...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have ls1 pro kit with konis, and it rides great. the rear sagged a bit tho. i used some spacers and its perfect again. please dont "throw them away" ill take em if you're gonna do that.

-Brian
Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

^lol. I was being sarcastic. I guess I'll just settle for another pair of bilsteins unless someone has a good deal on konis right now.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an LT1 pro kit, my car sits plenty low......

The LS1 engine itself is lighter than the LT1, but overall I think the cars weigh about the same...

Strano springs are a better option, but to me the ride really improved with the Koni shocks (even with the stiffer springs). The ride is definitely very firm, but it used to be harsh and jarring (on stock springs / shocks) and it isn't anymore.

BTW- the LS1 and LT1 pro kits are very different animals. The LS1 style pro kit sucks really bad.

also PS - strano has Konis on sale right now.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Just curious to know how you like it. I have a set of Eibach LT1 Pro Kit springs from my car I just sold I was going to use on my new car. I had a set of bilsteins with it and they were nice but on long trips it would become uncomfortable after an hour or two. Any way, just curious to know how these pair up together since I already have the springs. Thanks for any input.

I'm kind of curious about this myself. I had a ProKit/SLP Bilstein set up on my Z-28 for a number of years. I felt that the Bilsteins were getting a bit soft, and I was getting a little antsy for something to do while the car is in the garage for the winter. So, because everyone raves about the Strano/Koni combination, I ordered it up, and put it in a few weeks ago.

I haven't driven the car, as it's still snowing quite a bit, however the car seems to be a bit higher than before. I should have taken measurements before I started the job, however the car was on ramps prior to me doing the springs/shocks, because I was doing some maintenance work, and needed the room to get underneath. Therefore, I though that any measurements I took wouldn't be accurate, and due to other objects in the garage, moving the car off the ramps to measure, then back on the ramps would have been quite an issue. Now, I'm sorry I didn't take the time.....

Hopefully, the car will both settle a bit, and ride a lot better. However, just in case, I'm keeping the Eibach springs. But, if I understood Sam Strano correctly, the Konis aren't all that well suited to the Eibach springs due to them being progressive rate.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:27 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm kind of curious about this myself. I had a ProKit/SLP Bilstein set up on my Z-28 for a number of years. I felt that the Bilsteins were getting a bit soft, and I was getting a little antsy for something to do while the car is in the garage for the winter. So, because everyone raves about the Strano/Koni combination, I ordered it up, and put it in a few weeks ago.

I haven't driven the car, as it's still snowing quite a bit, however the car seems to be a bit higher than before. I should have taken measurements before I started the job, however the car was on ramps prior to me doing the springs/shocks, because I was doing some maintenance work, and needed the room to get underneath. Therefore, I though that any measurements I took wouldn't be accurate, and due to other objects in the garage, moving the car off the ramps to measure, then back on the ramps would have been quite an issue. Now, I'm sorry I didn't take the time.....

Hopefully, the car will both settle a bit, and ride a lot better. However, just in case, I'm keeping the Eibach springs. But, if I understood Sam Strano correctly, the Konis aren't all that well suited to the Eibach springs due to them being progressive rate.
I think the point is that its difficult for ANY shock to work well with a progressive rate spring due to the variation in the spring rate during its travel.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
I think the point is that its difficult for ANY shock to work well with a progressive rate spring due to the variation in the spring rate during its travel.
I'm kind of assuming that too, however I would also think that there must be some shock that would do the job. If the springs came from "Bob's Custom Springs", around the corner and down the street, I'd definitely be suspect. However, Eibach is a well known company, and I would think that they had something in mind when they made the springs. I suppose I could have contacted them first....
Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm kind of assuming that too, however I would also think that there must be some shock that would do the job. If the springs came from "Bob's Custom Springs", around the corner and down the street, I'd definitely be suspect. However, Eibach is a well known company, and I would think that they had something in mind when they made the springs. I suppose I could have contacted them first....
In general the idea behind progressive springs is you are supposed to get "best of both worlds". Your supposed to feel the softer spring rate when driving around on the streets and theoretically get a better ride than if the springs were at a higher rate. And then when you go to road race and the car is being pushed and leaning in the corners (pushing the springs down) you get to the higher rate and supposedly get "better handing" than if you were on a softer spring. Why shocks don't damp progressive springs well is simple, if you have a shock valved to damp a certain rate, the car will either be underdamped or overdamped when that rate changes. For example you have the shocks valved for the lower rate of the eibach springs, but then when they get to the higher rate you are underramped, and visa versa. This is going to change handling characteristics suddenly, something you may not want to happen mid corner...
While Eibach is a big name company, don't forget they did come out with the sportline springs for our cars, which goes to show you that maybe they don't test all their products...

Quick Reply: Anyone running Eibach Pro Kit with Koni's?