Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV system ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV system ?'s

I pulled the intake today and while I was in there I found all the hard plastic hoses on the PCV system broken. 1 three inch piece is missing. The Y near the back of the intake is also broken. This thing has been broken for quite a while by the looks of it. (I just got the car in Aug.)

My question is: If I get the REVXTREME catch can does it come with everything I need to replace the entire PCV system or will I need to buy a good PCV system and then modify it to work with the catch can?
I am not having good luck finding any real good info on these or where the best place to get one is.
Any other suggestions??
Old 02-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

I would imagine those two leaks caused aweful vaccum leaks. Fix those and add the rev extreme can and I bet it runs alot better
Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

no the catch can will not come with enough hose for the Entire PCV system.
but 3/8 fuel hose is same thing, u can get it a parts store Cheap.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I went back out and looked it over and I see a way to fix it. I should have looked a little closer before posting.

Where should I look for the catch can?
Website?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Teching In

By the time I get done with this car I hope to be able to answer questions for people instead of only asking all the time.
I am still just a NEWBIE to these LS cars; but I'm learning.
Thanks for any help fellas.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got my catch can from elite engineering.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

I don't even know why people bother running a PCV system... Dual breathers is what I run and I have no oil in my intake period. I used to run a catch can but still some oil mist made it's way into my intake and got it somewhat dirty, but nothing like before. So I just say scrap your PCV system all together and save the cost on a catch can setup and clean up your engine bay without making it more cluttered.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Traitor LS1
I don't even know why people bother running a PCV system... Dual breathers is what I run and I have no oil in my intake period. I used to run a catch can but still some oil mist made it's way into my intake and got it somewhat dirty, but nothing like before. So I just say scrap your PCV system all together and save the cost on a catch can setup and clean up your engine bay without making it more cluttered.
can you really just eliminate the PCV system by putting a breather on each valve cover?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Some people are fond of the breathers, some like to retain SOME sort of PCV system...depends on how you feel about the situation I guess. I'm retaining the PCV system, but switching to the LS6 style. There is much less hose clutter and it is "supposed" to eliminate the oil consumption. We shall see...
Old 02-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
can you really just eliminate the PCV system by putting a breather on each valve cover?
Yep well pretty much that and cap off a couple vacuum lines just search on here and you will find info on it. It's VERY easy to do. People complain about it making a burning oily smell I can only smell it when I pop the hood and sniff right by the breathers haha it isn't noticable at all IMO.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wytry
Some people are fond of the breathers, some like to retain SOME sort of PCV system...depends on how you feel about the situation I guess. I'm retaining the PCV system, but switching to the LS6 style. There is much less hose clutter and it is "supposed" to eliminate the oil consumption. We shall see...
Yeah the LS6 PCV is better than LS1 that's for sure but I know a few people who run catch cans with an LS6 PCV and still get a little bit of oil in there so they still suck oil but nowhere NEAR what an LS1 PCV does. I would just delete it you wouldn't have to spend the $150 or so on the LS6 PCV system or notch your block to fit it and install it etc. etc. When you can get better results spending 5 minutes and deleting it. and Save $100+
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

capped off mine and installed breathers as well. still need to get a breather oil cap for mine
Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

hey guys, any pics of your breather setups?

just learned about the whole PCV system, LS1-to-LS6 valley cover swap and catch cans in the last 2 hours. there was oil loss when we changed the oil last, so i'm looking for anything that'll help it. i don't know what's on the car now as it was bought used. i'll take a look at it in the morning.