New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am impressed. Need a little assistance here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am impressed. Need a little assistance here.

Hello,
Been lurking and reading a great deal about the impressive amount of knowledge on this forum regarding the maintenance and improvement of these engines. I have a problem. I will be brief and ask for recommendations.

I bought an 2005 Silverado with 5.3. Has the 799 heads. I have water/coolant in the intake manifold and am losing is slowly. I got jacked and dealer does not want to help. Things that have been tried so far. Other symptoms include, rough idle, loud knock (listed below is a video of the knock).

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I am not losing oil pressure, it is not misfiring, no smoke on start up etc. It drives a little quieter on warm up above idle RPMS. Gas Mileage is fine.

I have done a great deal of research and have figured more than likely I have the Castech heads porosity leak.
My skills are okay as a mechanic, but it has been a while since I worked on my 1967 GTO when I was 19 ( I am 41 now..crap).
This truck is a third vehicle. I have only made one payment on it. GM does not want to do anything, and am getting to much crap from mechanics around here. I will attempt to fix it myself.

Are there any small articles for removing the valve covers to confirm what I probably already know? I have searched and may have missed them, but wanted to know any caveats to look out for.
Since the intake gasket is new (OEM), would I have to replace it again if I replace the heads?
Do they make non castech heads for this truck? If so which ones will be a simple bolt on (no changes, cams etc)?
I plan on placing an ad in the WTB section?
Can someone provide a quick summary of other procedures that would need to be done? I know to replace the head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, and new head bolts. Should I replace the lifters and rods as well? I am not certain if that noise is within that realm or something deeper like a wrist pin..sigh. If someone has some heads on this forum, what should I look for and avoid? I am just trying to save some money here. I cannot tell you the frustration I feel in buying my very first truck and have this happen.

If there are other suggestions, minus getting a totally new engine, unless someone in the Knoxville area will help me with a swap (above my head)?

Thanks for taking the time to take a look and provide some feedback.

-JC

Last edited by chunkee; 02-22-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 AM

Default ?

anyone?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chunkee
NM.. Move to other forum
???

Whats your question?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:06 PM

Default trying to get experienced mechanics advice

I am having no luck around here locally or with the dealer that sold me the truck, so I thought I would post here because of all the knowledge I have been reading about...

Trying to get some help, that is all.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lifting the heads out isn't too bad of a job. Heres a how to for the camaro.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=3
Some things may be alittle differant from the truck to the fbody, but this is a general idea. You will need to replace the head bolts because they are torque to yeild bolts. If the intake gaskets have just been replace you can reuse them, They are 8 "O" ring style gaskest. Not your old school paper gaskets. A new set of ls7 lifters and their plastic trays wouldn't be a bad thing to throw in there while every thing is apart. I would also take the heads to a machine shop and have them checked and milled to make sure the seal up for reassembly.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am honestly stumped sir. Bump for someone more knowledgeable than myself.