Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 to powerglide help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 to powerglide help!

Ok folks, I'm pretty new on here and need some help with mating this lq4 to the powerglide I just rebuilt (hopefully correctly). I had a guy helping me that instead figured he'd come and steal my tools some cash and some of my parts, needless to say, he isn't coming back.

I know people have asked the question before, but I can't find anything specifically discussing the lq4 to a powerglide tranny. What do I need for the flywheel to converter connection? I just picked up a 2500 stall hughes converter for the tranny (I didn't know people were putting out special converters)

Apparently I can drill the converter holes out on the flywheel correct? Besides running a 7/16" bit (if I remember right) through the holes do I need this spacer everyone keeps talking about?

Sorry to ask a redundant question, but again, I'm not finding anyone addressing a powerglide in their swaps.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

#LS1-700 its about half way down the page. I just came across it in my search so I have no feedback on it yet. I'm running a lq4 with a glide too.

http://www.partshp.com/Converters.htm
Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Do you know which year LQ4 you have? The 1999 to early 2001 LQ4's had the correct longer crankshaft flange (and flexplate) to mate to SBC style converters with not much hassle. 2001+ LQ4's had the shorter more conventional LS style flange that all other LS motors have and would need the converter hub pilot spacer and either redrilled/oblongated flexplate bolt holes or the correct LQ4 flywheel that has the right bolt spacing. You could also use the TCI flexplate.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Do you know which year LQ4 you have? The 1999 to early 2001 LQ4's had the correct longer crankshaft flange (and flexplate) to mate to SBC style converters with not much hassle. 2001+ LQ4's had the shorter more conventional LS style flange that all other LS motors have and would need the converter hub pilot spacer and either redrilled/oblongated flexplate bolt holes or the correct LQ4 flywheel that has the right bolt spacing. You could also use the TCI flexplate.
The easy way to tell is by looking at the crank flange. If the crank is flush with the bearing seal surface it is a "normal" Gen III crank, but if it sticks out .400 (like a Gen I / II) it is the "long" crank.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Launching!

mine is a th350 but for some odd reason i needed not adapters or anything to mate up to my lq4. everything bolted up perfect the flexplate even had an extended bore for the snout of the converter. think when i ordered the motor it was an 01
Old 03-11-2010, 12:37 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

The last TH transmission/converter I installed I used the GM flywheel/spacer kit for the '01+ 6.0L, in the past I used the TCI setup but it was not available at this particular time. I snapped a few pics of it and will attach some to this post.

You can see the spacer and longer bolts, but also notice that the torque converter bolts lined up without redrilling. I'll try to find the part number of the kit.
Attached Thumbnails lq4 to powerglide help!-flywheelspacer.jpg   lq4 to powerglide help!-flywheelspacerinstalled.jpg  
Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

Awesome Joseph. I did some searching and found it. Click on the more info and there is a good artical.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...roduct_ID=1343
Old 03-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Any updates? Im 95% sure I want to try this.

Quick Reply: lq4 to powerglide help!