Sponsored by:

LS1 lokar dipstick question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 lokar dipstick question

Hello all,
I recently purchased an LS1 powered '55 chevy pickup. I changed the oil and filter this weekend, and drained the old oil back into quart containers- the total oil drainded came out to just over 6.5 quarts. From what I've read, an LS1 with an f-body oil pan holds 5.5-6.0 quarts max; pepboys (where I purchased the oil) said that it should take 6.0 quarts with a filter change. I added 6.0 quarts and it reads at the low level on the dipstick, which is an aftermarket Lokar.
One big question I have is if the Lokar dipstick works for all LS1's reguardless of the oil pan (vette or f-body). I contacted Lokar and they said they only have one dipstick for LS1's- they seemed kinda clueless as to the f-body oil pan, he kept saying "it's out of a vette, right?" I explained that there is a difference in the oil pans and he replied "I've always put 6 quarts in every LS1 i've ever done." Needless to say, this was less than helpfull.
Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated greatly!

Last edited by sloppojoe; 02-21-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I correct to ignore the dipstick reading and just go with the 6.0 quarts with a filter change (standard size oil filter)? I have a 98 LS1 out of a camaro.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The book calls for 5.5 quarts, most (myself included) have ran 6 quarts without issue.

Some may say it'll do more harm than good running 6. I would put 5.5 in it and mark the stick and use it for reference
Old 02-22-2010, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the LS1 with a longer truck filter will hold 6 quarts and not raise the level on the dipstick.

these engines hold 6 quarts, so as long as you put 6 qts in you will be fine. you cant decide how much oil your engine should have in it by looking at an aftermarket dipstick. fact is, they hold 5.5 to 6 qts regardless of dipstick.

Quick Reply: LS1 lokar dipstick question