LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

NEW GXP RECALL!!!! Caught fire!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW GXP RECALL!!!! Caught fire!

For all you GXP owners out there. Last Monday my 2006 GXP caught fire, luckly I was pulling into my parking lot at work and the cab of my car filled up with smoke I stopped the car popped the hood and saw fire coming from behind the engine along the firewall. I put the fire out with a fire exhingusher from my workplace. I was lucky where the fire had happened if it had happened on the highway or interstate it would have been a total loss or worse! Upon further inspection I noticed powersteering fluid leaking onto the exhaust which caught fire and set a wire harness and sound deading mat by the exhaust on fire. I had the car taken to a local GM dealership and told the service tech that my car had caught fire and was then informed that GM just issued a recall on January 2010 for the power steering hose for my GXP. The dealership confirmed that the fire was caused by the recalled power steering hose failing, (RECALL # 09132)The dealership informed me that they would repair my car and the following day I got a call that my car was repaired, however they only replaced the powersteering hose but nothing that caught fire! I told the sevice tech that this was unacceptable and that I want my car put back to the original condition before the fire, couldn't believe that they didn't think there was a problem with exposed wires to the elements! Dealership had to bring in a District rep to look at my car and after two days the District rep couldn't make a decision on what to do. I was informed that I would have to contact customer assistance at GM and file a claim. I proceeded with this process and the rep on the phone took my info and said it would be 7 to 10 day before a claims rep would even look at my file! I then asked for a loaner car and was informed that GM would not issue me a loaner because my bumper to bumper warranty had expired, WTF? After an hour of pressing the issue on the phone stating my car caught fire do to a recalled part that I wasn't notified about, that my warranty had nothing to do with a recall part and that this would be the last GM car I ever purchase, GM finally agreed to give me a rental car. So the following day I get a call from the GM headquarters saying that they will not pay for my rental now because it would confirm neglagence on part of GM. I informed the guy on the phone that GM already confirmed neglagence by issuing a recall and all I want is someone to deal with my issue and get me a fricken rental while GM takes their damn sweet time to decide what they will do with my car. The GM rep on the phone informed me that there was no one else that I could talk to that there was nothing else I can do and that I would have to wait 10 day for the claims rep to look at my file and proceeded to hang up on me! I called the dealership back and told them my dissatisfaction with GM and the dealership was kind enough to pay for my rental for the time being!
Is it no wonder why GM is in the condition that they are in, do they not understand that the individual consumer makes up their corporation? So in the mean time I have hired an attorney to protect me from GM and try to get my situation resloved! I cannot believe that when you inform a car manufacturer that your car caught fire do to a recalled part that put your life and lives of others in danger and no one at GM gives a ****! I have never owned anything but GM vehicles since I could drive but this will be the very last one that I ever own! Thanks for reading my bitch-fest but so pissed right now and hope that none of you ever have to deal with such a situation!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe I should get a fire extinguisher for my car lol.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this. The hose issue has been going on for quite some time. Mine went out at 5k miles, had the car towed to dealer for repair.

If that were to happen to me I would have let it burn to the ground and let the insurance company go after GM. That would have had a good reason to get the G8GT! Good luck with your fight, remember the government owns a portion of GM now, so you are in for it.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

wow!!! im for sure going to take my car to the dealershit asap. good luck with your situation man!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

Where do you live? The recall was meant for the northern colder states. If mine catches fire, I'm not saving it...

That's pretty messed up on GM's part, too.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea man that's bullshit, makes me mad just reading about it, if they still won't work things out with you tell them your going to the media about it, because you thought they were better then that and that you were wrong and you want everyone else that thinks that know that there wrong too, they'll **** there pants... Don't give up man, don't settle for anything less then what you originaly wanted...

Last edited by Vectus; 02-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with vectus!!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if mine caught fire omg that would be amazing!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats ****** scary, if mine was on fire

burn ***** ***** burn!!! the gxp the gxp is on fire!!! we dont need no water let the ***** ***** burn!! burn ***** ***** burn!!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bdyman
thats ****** scary, if mine was on fire

burn ***** ***** burn!!! The gxp the gxp is on fire!!! We dont need no water let the ***** ***** burn!! Burn ***** ***** burn!!!!

ditto!!!!!! Haha g8 gxp i would be coming!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98GTcoupe
ditto!!!!!! Haha g8 gxp i would be coming!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow that totally sucks..the problem is its old GM and new GM. we have OLD GM stuff and they are being asshats about warranty stuff. I could go into more but the way GM's handling the old parts of GM its hands are kinda tied behind thier back..does not excuse the service you got. or the tone in thier voice. But being in the waters of BK. They have to jump through hoops and then stand on one legs..

If you had a buick..or a Chevy or a GMC or a caddy you would of had no problems..
Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Does this recall involve all LS4?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

I believe so, Mel.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

actually i had the exact same thing happen to me.. owned nothin but gm since i could drive and with that customer service and the dealership where there at idk about buying another gm again.. dont get me wrong i love the cars but its like they just back out when times get tough..hope everything gets resolved for u as for me i didnt bother gettin a lawyer just walked out called GM's Corprate delt with the claims department after getting no where and noting that i was completely unsatisfied they just continued to hang up on me..
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
They have to jump through hoops and then stand on one legs..

If you had a buick..or a Chevy or a GMC or a caddy you would of had no problems..
I dont know about that....but i do agree with the jumping through hoops though.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vectus
Yea man that's bullshit, makes me mad just reading about it, if they still won't work things out with you tell them your going to the media about it, because you thought they were better then that and that you were wrong and you want everyone else that thinks that know that there wrong too, they'll **** there pants... Don't give up man, don't settle for anything less then what you originaly wanted...
X3
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

I had a powersteering leak on my car about six months ago so I gave my car to the dealer and they fixed the issue under my warranty at around 32k miles. But I brought mine in because it was making a loud whining sound so I figured the power steering pump was going up which was part of it with the leak, I live in the western burbs of Chicago and I don't get the recall but seems like they should of.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 PM

Default wow!

last week i went to oil express for a oil change and they showed me how nasty my antifreeze was looking,it was all brown and stuff floating in it,they told me to take it to gm to fix the problem cause that should not be happening with a newer car.they also told me that my power steering hose was leaking a little bit...i know the recall was for gxp`s but is still scary to think that your car could be next. am going tommorrow so they can check it out.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cderry
I had a powersteering leak on my car about six months ago so I gave my car to the dealer and they fixed the issue under my warranty at around 32k miles. But I brought mine in because it was making a loud whining sound so I figured the power steering pump was going up which was part of it with the leak, I live in the western burbs of Chicago and I don't get the recall but seems like they should of.

im in cicero, where are you at?? i use castle pontiac and advantage chevy

Quick Reply: NEW GXP RECALL!!!! Caught fire!