Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Autozone ignition switch in car from old owner want to switch back to factory??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autozone ignition switch in car from old owner want to switch back to factory??

Ok, basically when I bought my camaro someone tried to steal it at one time when the old owner had it. They broke his old factory ignition switch. He replaced it with a auto zone switch that has no vats resistor in it. So, my security light stays on all the time. But, my car starts fine. He said everything was plug and play and he did not hot wire any wires or jump any. I looked under the dash and saw one wire that does not look factory as it's very loose. It's a large orange wire with two small wires in it.

I just dont know how he did it. I want to put a stock ignition back into the car with the vats system working right.

Now my question can I just purchase a a stock GM factory switch assembly with key and it's plug and play or do I also need the BCM? What all does it take? I know if I change the BCM I will also need new remote clickers.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VATS resistor is on the key itself, not the ignition switch. Those 2 wires your talking about go to the ignition tumbler and form a circuit with the resistor the pcm. Id trace those wires to see if they are connected and go from there.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That harness in your hand is the VATS harness for the ignition cylinder. Yes, it's factory.

Quick Reply: Autozone ignition switch in car from old owner want to switch back to factory??