Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I am starting to HATE my Moser 12 Bolt !

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am starting to HATE my Moser 12 Bolt !

I filled the diff to the fill hole on the Moser ALM cover and it was way too high, causing me to blow fluid out the overflow tube, all over the disc brakes. The bolts came loose on the Torque arm where it mounts to the stupid moser threaded holes in the cast steel housing, which caused the pinion bearings to wear.

THEN, when I took it apart this weekend to change the pinion bearings they put so much silicone on everything that I had to slide hammer the axles out since they put silicone on the axle bearings, even though there is a axle seal and a O-ring there already

Last edited by adrynalinjunkie; 02-23-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why I dotn want a Moser...Im going Strange for all of the above!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup the only way i would buy moser anything is if it was like half price
Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
I filled the diff to the fill hole on the Moser ALM cover and it was way too high, causing me to blow fluid out the overflow tube, all over the disc brakes. The bolts came loose on the Torque arm where it mounts to the stupid moser threaded holes in the cast steel housing, which caused the pinion bearings to wear.

THEN, when I took it apart this weekend to change the pinion bearings they put so much silicone on everything that I had to slide hammer the axles out since the put silicone on the axle bearings, even though there is a axle seal and a O-ring there already
The actual fill hole and oil level hole is on the front passenger side of the rear end diff. The plug is hex so you will need a pretty big hex Allen wrench or drive adapter with a hex head to remove the plug.

The torque arm bolts do have a tendency to come loose, which is one of the reasons why I strongly recommend the Moser 9 inch over the Moser 12 bolt. Clean any oil residue off the torque arm bolts, and apply loc-tite to the bolts. This will help to keep them tight.

Moser does not install the axles and the wheel bearings, the end user does after they remove and reuse the brake backing plates from the old 10 bolt. At our shop, we have always used silicone when we do the installation, to help prevent any leaks. Bob
Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I found it Bob, that must be the stock CORRECT fill hole on the pass side huh? what they heck were they thinking, when they put those hoes in the cover?

Quick Reply: I am starting to HATE my Moser 12 Bolt !