Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cant leave well enough alone

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I cant leave well enough alone

i have a loudmouth on my car. i got a magnaflow bullet to replace the resonator. well the elbow that curves up to go over the axle has to be opened up so the new bullet will slide into it. well, the elbow wouldnt come out so i had to take a cut-off wheel and cut about 3 slits in the outside pipe and then pry apart the outside pipe, the one that is the main peice that runs out the back. i finally got it apart but i think i might have messed it up. im going take it all to a muffler shop and see if it can be fixed. this sucks. i hope the new sound is worth all this hassle. and its winter here so i cant take it anywhere.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if your looking for a reply or just venting...either way good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bottomed out once on the way to school with my LM and that night I just took a BFH and some large pliers and opened it up. It shouldn't be a big deal, and I was using the old exhaust clamps. If you think it will leak, get some of the bigger exhaust band clamps.

You just have to make sure that it slips on all the way (the slotted part of the pipe is completely covered by the other pipe) and you torque it down enough to crush the pipe enough so that it seals.

I didn't think about cutting the slots when I had to fix it. Good thinking. Like I said, I just pounded on that thing with a pair of pliers and a BFH.

Last edited by trippinholyman; 02-24-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope i can save it. id rather buy some konis rather than a new catback.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Dynamax sells just an over the axle pipe I believe. No reason an entire catback would have to be replaced.