Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pulsating with new rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulsating with new rotors and pads

Bought 4 PowerStop rotors from the sponser on here and 4 Hawk HPS street pads all the way around. Installed them, bled the lines etc. Now when stopping from 80 and up I feel the brake pedal pulsate.. :wtf: i broke in the pads the proper way it asked and everything. What else could it be? Not sure how the rotor would be warped already... I might have 200 miles on this setup with only 2 80mph or so stops.

Another issue that im having, not sure if its related. But when taking a semi hard turn at about 25mph and up i hear a small clanging sound from behind me only while in the turn. After that it goes away.. Any thought? Dana s60 rear end with Nitto 555R's
Old 02-24-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

rotors can come warped, but it could just the pads not fully bedding still. mine pulsated a bit for a few hundred (if not a thousand) miles, then i did an autox and the problem went away. just needed some extra heat/abuse i guess.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

did you do the install? maybe they didn't seat right, no offense. also, did you follow the break in procedure?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

i had a brand new set of brembos, ZERO miles on them, and one was warped. many people dont know this, but you can warp a rotor by just dropping it. the delivery guy could have just dropped them in his truck, and there you go. no fault of your own. also, mine only pulsed at higher speeds, and heavy braking. say 60 and up, with 80% force and more. to be sure and safe, take them off and get them cut at a shop. tell him to just put the lightest finishing cut on them, just to see if theyre warped (to make sure). if they are, have them cut them.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i had a brand new set of brembos, ZERO miles on them, and one was warped. many people dont know this, but you can warp a rotor by just dropping it. the delivery guy could have just dropped them in his truck, and there you go. no fault of your own. also, mine only pulsed at higher speeds, and heavy braking. say 60 and up, with 80% force and more. to be sure and safe, take them off and get them cut at a shop. tell him to just put the lightest finishing cut on them, just to see if theyre warped (to make sure). if they are, have them cut them.
thanks man will do, and thats the only time it does it really above 60 or hard braking.

And ive had an fbody since 06, not my first brake job lol. and yes i broke in the pads as they said to do on the box.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Did you clean the rotor mating surface (hub) with a scotchbrite wheel? Rust can cause high spots.

Quick Reply: Pulsating with new rotors and pads