General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS? Found In My 2000 Toyota Tundra Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT THE HECK IS THIS? Found In My 2000 Toyota Tundra Oil Pan

To the best of my knowledge and 99 and 9/10 for sure my oil pan has never been off my truck.I have never had engine work done ,any other than o2 sensors and tuneup and little things here and there...

I went to have my truck checked and my mechanic was checking to see if there was a rear main seal leak and it was,so they started by taking the oil pan off and I was standing there and he told me to come over.I was watching him..and he asked if we had ever had any major engine work done.I told him no.

He started taking other parts of the engine apart to see if he could find the source of the things in the photo here. He checked rings,pistons,rocker arms timing chain everything and even did a compression check. Everything was great nothing wrong and the truck has 85000 miles on it.. He visually checked everything and also did compression checks and other checks on the engine.

He said the only thing he could think of was that when my truck was built at the plant.The engine was bad and they pulled the truck off the line and then took the engine out and then replaced the engine with another and used the same oil pan..never looking in it before replacing it. But I just wanted to show everyone what TOYOTA left in my new truck off the line..

Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not good. That's what it is.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How big in diameter are those two ring halves. Could be a spring retainer maybe.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like what left of a snap ring. Have no idea what it's from though. Whatever it is, it's a very BAD thing.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 PM

The diameter of the rings joined together I think is about 3 inch if they were together.Also there was a part number on them ODO2..My mechanic has tried looking the number up and has a breakdown of the engine and can't really pinpoint anything it could have come from .I mentin the spring retainer to him.. and see what he says but he keeps saying he has just about torn the engine down and cannot find anything associated with the engine that the remains even closely resemble. He has done several compression checks and also did other performance checks with computer equipment with no failures and all pass.Hopefully it didn't come from my engine.. I freaked out when I saw it.. My mind kept saying overhaul..but there are no symptoms for any damage and never has been. Hopefully it was just stray parts maybe that was in the oil pan when they installed it on the line..
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time for a trade-in!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Flabbergasted;12944185]The diameter of the rings joined together I think is about 3 inch if they were together.Also there was a part number on them ODO2..My mechanic has tried looking the number up and has a breakdown of the engine and can't really pinpoint anything it could have come from .I mentin the spring retainer to him.. and see what he says but he keeps saying he has just about torn the engine down and cannot find anything associated with the engine that the remains even closely resemble. He has done several compression checks and also did other performance checks with computer equipment with no failures and all pass.Hopefully it didn't come from my engine.. I freaked out when I saw it.. My mind kept saying overhaul..but there are no symptoms for any damage and never has been.

If its 3" in diam it can't be a spring retainer. They'd be about 1" in diameter.

Maybe those pistons are that small and it is a ring. I guess you'd pass a compression check if thats a lower oil ring.
How many rings do those pistons have? 3???
I don't see how a large piece of a ring like that size could get out of the cylinder in that good of shape. Your cylinder wall would be hammered.

Hopefully it was just stray parts maybe that was in the oil pan when they installed it on the line..
I doubt that. No way they would leave parts in there. And I doubt if the engine did fail before it went out the door, they would put an entire new engine INCLUDING a new oil pan. They just scrap the whole thing and start fresh.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=LS6427;12944328]
Originally Posted by Flabbergasted
The diameter of the rings joined together I think is about 3 inch if they were together.Also there was a part number on them ODO2..My mechanic has tried looking the number up and has a breakdown of the engine and can't really pinpoint anything it could have come from .I mentin the spring retainer to him.. and see what he says but he keeps saying he has just about torn the engine down and cannot find anything associated with the engine that the remains even closely resemble. He has done several compression checks and also did other performance checks with computer equipment with no failures and all pass.Hopefully it didn't come from my engine.. I freaked out when I saw it.. My mind kept saying overhaul..but there are no symptoms for any damage and never has been.

If its 3" in diam it can't be a spring retainer. They'd be about 1" in diameter.

Maybe those pistons are that small and it is a ring. I guess you'd pass a compression check if thats a lower oil ring.
How many rings do those pistons have? 3???
I don't see how a large piece of a ring like that size could get out of the cylinder in that good of shape. Your cylinder wall would be hammered.

I doubt that. No way they would leave parts in there. And I doubt if the engine did fail before it went out the door, they would put an entire new engine INCLUDING a new oil pan. They just scrap the whole thing and start fresh.

Im think I just found the answer..Crankshaft Thrust bearings ,off the no 3 crankshaft. slung down in the oil pan probably causing engine damage also causing the rear main seal to start leaking and the no 3 crankshaft is probably loose..I ll have to check with the mechanic tomorrow..I found a photo of crankshaft thrust bearings and they sure look the same.. hopefully not but then again its probably engine overhaul time ..Geez.. here is hoping not..
Old 02-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

Yeah, its not a ring, too small. You may have figured it out.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Ouch. That sucks!

Like somebody else said, time for a trade in!

Quick Reply: WHAT THE HECK IS THIS? Found In My 2000 Toyota Tundra Oil Pan