Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Z06 spring & Koni FSD install...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 spring & Koni FSD install...

Knocked out the rear tonight... easy work, but if you ever do this be very careful to not cross-thread the bolts that hold the spring to the cradle... almost had to bust out the tap/die set but got it to go in straight. For some reason the right side shock was a PITA to get the upper bolts started, left was a non-issue.

These are OEM C5 Z06 mono leafs and Koni FSD shocks. I have C6 front spring adjusters (sets the car lower than the standard C5 units) and the LGM rear kit which uses longer bolts than stock (allows you to lower the car more than the stock adjusters). I got the springs from a Corvetteforum buddy and used his suggestion of 8 threads showing for the rear as the initial ride height setting... looks pretty damn low and the car looks ridiculous w/ the nose at stock ride height. Going to lower it to the max in the front w/t he C6 bolts and then set the rear off that to maintain the fatory recommended 5mm of negative rake.

C5Z monoleafs

OEM base rear shocks vs. a Koni FSD

FSDs installed... you can also see the C5Z swaybar here.

Stock rear spring out

Forgot to snap a picture of the Z06 spring installed, it looks like the base spring but with less arch and not dirty.

Took it around the block to allow the ride height to adjust.

Left Rear

Right Rear

Stylin
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy yourself some rocker gards.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I have A&A rocker rails that we took off my father's Z16 before he sold it to go on. Also have them on the Z06... not only do they protect your from high siding they make a great jacking point.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Yeah I have A&A rocker rails that we took off my father's Z16 before he sold it to go on. Also have them on the Z06... not only do they protect your from high siding they make a great jacking point.
Good accessory to have when your car is lowered. I like the ones from elite made of the hard plastic as they have cut-outs so that you can use jack pucks.

The one's from A&A do not allow you use jack pucks unless you grind out some areas.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

No need to use jacking pucks if you have them.... just jack right on them... thats what I do anyway.

Finished it all up this evening. Ended up raising the rear up a bunch, about 7 full turns a side and it still needs to come up a smidge more, but thats easy to do. Front ended up 1/4 inch lower (ground to fender) than my Z06 lowered on the stock C5 adjusters, but the tire/fender gap is a smidge more b/c the 17 inch wheel/tire combo is shorter than the 18 incher; new wheels will be 18s.

The rear ended up 3/4 inch lower ground to quarter panel than my Z06 lowered w/ the stock bolts, will probably bring it up another 1/4 inch to get the rake set correctly. I expected the front to be a little lower, but frankly Im happy its not. I dont want a super slammed car. The car rode/handled like pure **** when I took it out w/ the rear super low from last night. Once adjusted properly everything fell into place... car feels awesome.

Local popo followed me around for a bit when he saw me slaloming the car on Damneck... he split off when I turned into my neighborhood... hopefully he would accepted a garage full of tools all over the place and I was testing my new suspension and setting ride height as a valid excuse :p

Stock front suspension

Disassembly to remove the spring complete

Here you can see how the ride height adjuster works in the front. The less pad/space you have between the lower A-arm and the spring the lower the car sits. Some people remove the adjuster completely and slip a piece of rubber in there to cushion the spring end on the A-arm, but that really slams the car and it rides/handles poorly

Stock C5 adjuster max lowered vs. stock C6 adjuster max lowered

Comparison of base front spring and C5Z front spring

Ready for the new spring to slip in

Slipped in place... time to put it all back together...

Main brackets in and toqued w/ blue loc-tite

All back together w/ Konis installed

Front height... 18s will fill up about 1/4 inch of wheel well more

Rear after raising it some... will probably go up a smidge more but want to see it in the daylight first

Gnight!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks Good.

I have a (4) post lift with two hyraulic jacks that I use to lift the car. I use the pucks when I leave the car up for extended period of times. (like a year)
Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha... true with your setup you need to put the jack there.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Haha... true with your setup you need to put the jack there.
Yeah, I'm a little bit slow on getting things done with all of my work travel, etc ...

This year weather up here has not been helpful either. Basically been under snow since mid- December, when the first big storm rolled in.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Snapped a couple quick shots while there was still light to show the resultant ride height.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks really nice Brian.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks... raise the rear up another 3 turns per side before going to the gym. The LG rear bolt kit has a very fine thread so its not like w/ the stock bolts. Probably raised it a few eights of an inch... perfect now.

Quick Reply: Z06 spring & Koni FSD install...