Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need non V related advice... Dealership wrecked my Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need non V related advice... Dealership wrecked my Tacoma

And no, the gas pedal did not get stuck...

So I dropped my Tacoma off(Toyota of Dallas) to get the rear leaf springs replaced and the next day I call to see if it is ready. The "assistant service manager" says it is finished and it is coming back from the body shop... WTF? Body shop I ask. He then tells me the service guy ran the passenger bed side up against a pole. He said the body shop can't get to it till next week and I can come pick it up. I decide to pick the truck up(didn't sign anything).

As for the damage, the passenger bed side is scratched up and is slightly dented, the taillight is scratched up and the fender flare is gouged and scratched.

I told the service manager that I want a complete NEW bedside, NEW taillight and NEW fender flare put on it. He is trying to get me to agree to just repair it but I told him that it didn't have a repaired fender when I brought it to them I don't expect it to have one when they are done.

Will something like this show on the carfax when I go to sell it? Even if it doesn't show on the carfax I will still have to inform a buyer that there has been repair done to it. Would this be a diminished value situation?

I am not trying to get money out of this but I also do not want to lose any money down the road. I think I am going to take it out for a 3rd party estimate on Friday with what I want done.

Anyone have any advice or been in a similar situation?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

As long as the repairs are done to factory specs and the color is matched and blended perfectly you dont have to worry about a diminished value situation. It is not a total loss therefore no salvage title and no major structural damage was done. It is no different than being hit in a parking lot.

As for the dealership, they would be replacing the entire bed if it were me unless they wanted a lawsuit. Just as you said, it came in with a perfect oem bed so it should leave with one.

On another note, dealerships can be shady which is why I pick and choose them carefully if I have to use one. A few years back my mother used to do accounting work for a local dealership on the side. One of the techs was prepping a new Accord for delivery and backed out of the garage. Another tech was driving by and t-boned the Accord. The new owner was there to pick up that car too. He ordered a new one obviously but the dealership repaired and still sold the damaged Accord as a new vehicle.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably won't show up on a carfax if the dealership avoids notifying their insurance company. Crinkled metal is always going to offer rust an opportunity to grab hold. They should be replacing, not repairing. They should also provide you with a free rental while the replacement parts are being installed. The dealership is trying to hose you. Send them a certified letter cc'ing an "attorney", and notify them you're going to the news media, the BBB, and Toyota corporate. Toyota of America doesn't need more headaches right now.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

My buddy just had his bed side replaced apparently its easy it just bolts off and bolts on. his an 06 taco and he got hit by an old lady. I would try my hardest to get it replaced completely. As for the carfax it should not show and you do not have to disclose that information that it was scratched on the side unless a person directly ask you. Even then just tell them what happened. Every little thing diminish value but should not hurt it to bad and I dont know if there is anything that can be done to recoup that.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Make sure to get a booklet of free oil changes or something for the time/trama caused.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Same thing happened to a friend with his 07 z71. Dealership offered repair friend said replace and a week later they replaced the bedside. Being a factory replacement the value shouldn't change. The fact that he used to be a mechanic at that same dealership didn't hurt anything either.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good advice from all. When I have such issues with companies I always interject 'State Attorney General's Office', seems to carry weight, as they are not sometimes concerned with consumer reporting agencies, but take note once they think you are going to get a Governmental Office involved.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
Make sure to get a booklet of free oil changes or something for the time/trama caused.
I'm thinking I wouldn't go back, not even for free service. OP may feel differently.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2003RC51
And no, the gas pedal did not get stuck...

So I dropped my Tacoma off(Toyota of Dallas) to get the rear leaf springs replaced and the next day I call to see if it is ready. The "assistant service manager" says it is finished and it is coming back from the body shop... WTF? Body shop I ask. He then tells me the service guy ran the passenger bed side up against a pole. He said the body shop can't get to it till next week and I can come pick it up. I decide to pick the truck up(didn't sign anything).

As for the damage, the passenger bed side is scratched up and is slightly dented, the taillight is scratched up and the fender flare is gouged and scratched.

I told the service manager that I want a complete NEW bedside, NEW taillight and NEW fender flare put on it. He is trying to get me to agree to just repair it but I told him that it didn't have a repaired fender when I brought it to them I don't expect it to have one when they are done.

Will something like this show on the carfax when I go to sell it? Even if it doesn't show on the carfax I will still have to inform a buyer that there has been repair done to it. Would this be a diminished value situation?

I am not trying to get money out of this but I also do not want to lose any money down the road. I think I am going to take it out for a 3rd party estimate on Friday with what I want done.

Anyone have any advice or been in a similar situation?
Damn, that sucks. Side note, have you made it out to any V meets here? You've been around a while and dont remember seeing you. I didnt realize you were here in Dallas.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

You shoulda made them sign something saying they'd fix it!!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, id fight to have it replaced.

Im just hoping they dont come back saying YOU did it.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for everyone's advice. I am definitely going to make them replace it. I don't think they will try and say that I did it. Too many witnesses saw me arguing with the Service manager and Assistant service manager over it.

Originally Posted by whisler151
Damn, that sucks. Side note, have you made it out to any V meets here? You've been around a while and dont remember seeing you. I didnt realize you were here in Dallas.
I made it out to one of the first bigger gatherings at Hooters in Lewisville... The time when the Saturn club beat us by one car, and the extra car they had in their club wasn't even a Saturn. Won't be making it out to any more meets though since my V took on a new owner yesterday. Maybe in a couple more years I will be back behind the wheel of a V.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2003RC51
I made it out to one of the first bigger gatherings at Hooters in Lewisville... The time when the Saturn club beat us by one car, and the extra car they had in their club wasn't even a Saturn. Won't be making it out to any more meets though since my V took on a new owner yesterday. Maybe in a couple more years I will be back behind the wheel of a V.
Damn, that was a while ago. I was a V virgin then. Only mod was Magnaflow. lol One of the better meets IMO. Damn Saturns!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your V.