Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

legal headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legal headers

Does anybody know if pacesetter long tube headers are legal in VA?

I'm drivin a 01 z28 I have to put on my intake, after that later on this year I want headers and the pacesetter long tubes sound awesome.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c-dub

I'm drivin a 01 z28 I have to put on my intake, after that later on this year I want headers and the pacesetter long tubes sound awesome.
Pretty sure under federal emission laws its illegal to move the placement of the catalytic converters from the factory location. (Which LT headers will surely accomplish)

Based on that fact you have 1 vote to get long tube headers.
Do yourself a favor and save the extra pennies for American Racing or kooks.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Unless you modify the pacesetter y pipe you will not be able to squeeze a catalytic converter in there...
So goes with something that offers a catted y pipe...it will be more $$ but worth it in the long run.
Or you can get shortys.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is almost no header out there that has a set up that leaves the Factory CAT in the Factory location thus/hence it is illegal, it all depends if people do a visual inspection.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

OOOH so the only reason it's a problem for me is since I live in a state that you have to get your car inspected yearly they are much more likely to see it and bust me right?
damn that sucks.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

find someone that lives in your area in VA and talk to them about it. WE have yearly inspections here in PA and there are ways around things.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had emissions done 2x with pacesetter LT's and haven't failed. However I do have cats welded into the Y-pipe but I still get a SES light so I run O2 simms.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

If you want to be 100% legal the only option is shorty headers. But LTs and a catted Y pipe might pass a visual, and that's assuming you get a visual at all.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Teching In

Shorty headers, now excuse my n00b questions, but is there really a difference between long tube or short tube headers? because I'm all about legality a long as it gives me max BFMB (bang for my buck), but if I have to settle for less then the rules might need to get bent a little bit.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

My LT's have a catted Y and passes visual, the car also still retains the air pipes, the AIR PUMP and codes have long since been deleted.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

If your gonna do it just go with longtubes and get a catted Y, you should be fine. If you have future mod plans for the car I'd go with 1 7/8's now.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shorty headers, now excuse my n00b questions, but is there really a difference between long tube or short tube headers? because I'm all about legality a long as it gives me max BFMB (bang for my buck), but if I have to settle for less then the rules might need to get bent a little bit.
There is enough of a difference in power....I would do the LT's and worry about passing or not do anything at all.

With lt's and cat's and decent catback the car is usally quiet enough (and dont smell like fumes) to the point where they just inspect. You never know....there is always the chance you wont pass.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put the ARHeaders with their catted Y with the LM1,and by far it has been the Best thing I have done to the Hawk. They are not legal. It is a pain in the butt to get it inspected, but there is usually someone out there who knows someone. Dealing with Stafford counties emissions I don't have to mess with. Just stay away from some of your top places that are strictly by the book.
As far as the shorties vs the LT's, I found only 1 post from the past where a guy had dyno proof that his had a gain. I had researched for over a year before buying headers. It is worth every penney in my opinion, but I would only have stainless, cause I'm only doing it 1 time on this car!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i live in northern va, yes its 100% illegal to remove the cats or move them from factory location (however not many inspectors care about that, they only care that they are there)

to remedy this i ordered up the TSP 1 7/8 LT headers and their catted Y-pipe. never had a problem since =)

EDIT: also to pass emissions in va for OBDII cars you just have to make sure your Service engine soon light isnt on.

they dont put the cars on the rollers they just plug up to the PCM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly what Raven said, it's technically illegal to have but everyone i've talked to just cares that you have cat's on the car. If you do get the longtubes just do a catted Y-pipe and you'll be fine, heck you can even find ways around that haha.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

I've heard of cars with LTs, off road Y and Loudmouths passing inspection since there were no codes set.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula413
I've heard of cars with LTs, off road Y and Loudmouths passing inspection since there were no codes set.
im sure they have....but not in va....unless its under the table
Old 02-26-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
HAHAHA. That's my exact exhaust SLP LT's, ORY, LM1 but yes it's not easy to do. If i would have done a catted Y-pipe even a gutted catted Y-pipe it'd be easier so i suggest that.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
lol ya true, I would have been amazed if mine had passed without the cats and lt's on. The car just screamed i'm killing baby seals when mine idled in a slightly enclosed area.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Hehe thanks alot everybody for the information. Upon doing more research about headers though I'm finding that since I have an convertible with the 4 speed automatic that some headers aren't even compatible with my car/engine :*(

Quick Reply: legal headers