Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Question about Color Sanding

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Color Sanding

I've become interested in learning how to color sand to remove orange peel from a car. I've never tried it before, but I have an old TA hood that I want to learn on.

My question is, will a Porter Cable, with the right compound/pad, be powerful enough to restore the finish after sanding? I have a recollection of reading somewhere that you absolutely need a rotary for color sanding, and if that's the case, I'd have to buy one.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

wet sanding is what it's called. if it's really bad, start with 1000 grit > 1500 grit > 2000 grit > maybe 2500, then use your rubbing compound, polish and waxes to bring the shine back.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

I'm good to go as far as the steps to take, I'm just wondering if the PC will be enough to bring the shine back and not leave it looking hazy
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

yeah totally, it's not really the PC that is going to bring the shine back, it's the compound. but the more you work in the compound, the better the shine is going to be (where the PC comes in). Start with a low setting and don't put too much pressure or you will go right through the clearcoat.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A porter cable is more than enough...that's what I use. If anything it is too powerful. Press very lightly and use circular motions, because when you get done color sanding the clear coat will be even thinner.

Color sanding is not as effective on modern two-stage paint cars as it was on older cars because you are basically sanding the clear coat... Doesn't mean it doesn't work, just doesn't work as well in my experience.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I don't understand what you mean here. Of course colorsanding two stage paint means you are sanding the clear coat, but clear coat has orange peel just as much as the paint itself does..

Quick Reply: Question about Color Sanding