Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My factory alarm's shock sensor must have died today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My factory alarm's shock sensor must have died today.

I came back to work from lunch, and was dealing with a customer in our tech center when the pager in the building asked me to go attend to my car...so I asked the customer to hang on a second, walked outside, the alarm was going off...but nobody hit the car, so I unlocked it, re-locked it, and went to walk back inside, and the alarm started going off again...so not wanting to deal with it, nor having time to, I just left the car unlocked in the lot, which is safe where I work anyways.

I just came home, and locked the car again in the driveway, and the alarm went off again...so I popped the hatch, pulled out the interior panel, and checked the shock sensor...the red light is coming on when I tap it, and going off when it's stationary...which seems normal.

I adjusted it all the way to the lowest sensitivity (it's noticeably different too...you can actually give it a pretty good tap before the red light comes on) with the ****, shut the hatch, locked the doors, waited, and sure enough the alarm went off again...so...not wanting to leave my car unlocked, I just unplugged the sensor for now...guess I'll get a replacement for it...with it unplugged, I can arm the cars alarm normally, which is a good thing...I hope it means the alarm itself is ok, because I really don't feel like going under the dash to replace it...my back has had enough of being underneath the cars dashboard for a while now.

Anyone else ever had one go bad in an F-Body...mine's a 2000 if it matters? Similar symptoms?...almost seems like it's still measuring shocks/impacts properly...but it's always reporting a fault even when there is none.

The part that bums me out the most...I really just want the keyless entry...I know the horn beeping isn't going to stop a thief from taking my car, or stereo, or something else thats inside...I've seen people completely ignore cars while the alarm is going off and someone is clearly breaking into them...so I guess I'll try replacing the sensor, and if that doesn't work, I'll just leave it unplugged...the keyless entry will work that way, and the red light on he dash will blink like it should (if thats even a deterrent, I dunno).
Old 02-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine just went bad on me also not to long ago.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...going-off.html

It has been REALLY wet weather the past few days (all week really)...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...going-off.html

It's funny...the only time I've opened the hatch this entire month, was today to get to the shock sensor...but I guess water could be getting in somehow, even though it seems really clean and dry.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Well...I found 2 more threads basically saying the same thing...so I've gotta say...my car almost has 183K on it, it's 10 years old, I drive it every day in all weather...it's really been great to me...other than normal maintenance stuff (filters, fluids, brakes, belts, tires), I've only HAD to replace the water pump, all 4 shocks/struts as well as the front upper strut mounts, as well as the 2 belt tensioners and 2 idler pulleys...all 4 had noisy bearings...everything else mechanical/electrical in the car is original (ok, the stereo isn't, but that doesn't count because I wanted better than stock)...who every said the 4th gen's weren't decent reliable cars?...for 183K miles...it's been a trooper.

I do need to replace the fuel tank sending unit some day, as when it's got less than half a tank it reports all sorts of screwey amounts of fuel to the gauge...

Quick Reply: My factory alarm's shock sensor must have died today.