Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak with engine just sitting (Autokraft pan)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak with engine just sitting (Autokraft pan)

I installed my autokraft pan about 3 months ago and used the old gasket from the truck pan. I noticed after some time of the engine just sitting in my garage that oil was collecting on the lip of the pan bellow the rear cover, it was just barely enough to see but I know that if it leaks just sitting it will leak real bad when running. So i bought a new gasket and installed it with medium beads of RTV where the front and rear covers meet the block. then to test it I got a quart of oil and poured it under the valve covers on both sides. Now i notice a tiny bit of oil accumulating where the pan meets the rear cover. The odd thing it it seems like it is coming from the rear cover but I never touched that and It didn't show any signs of a leak when I got the engine.

Questions:
can the use of RTV cause a leak?
anyone ever had the rear cover stat leaking after swaping the pan?
is there a chance that the gaskets will start sealing better when the engine runs?
do the rear covers leak often?

thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an oil leak back there for a while (with a stock GM pan). turned out being the oil pressure sensor at the top of the block. A very small leak I couldn't really see the oil until it pooled a bit and collected at the low point.

Clean everything off really well then if the oil returns use your hands to check for leaks higher up.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

I had a case where I saw a little oil around the lip of the pan like you mentioned but,, once I installed and ran it it didnt leak... I dont know the reason I just assumed that once it got hot it helped seal...
Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you remove the rear cover ?... if you did, it is somewhat critical that you place both the front and rear covers on correctly as directed in the FSM.. else you will have leaks from the seals...

It seems that when they designed the front and rear covers..that there was some almount of plan that they can be place and if not corrected centered on the Crank.. the seals will leak.

GM and others have tools to help center the seal/covers.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the replies, all I have done to the engine is change the pan. since there is so little oil and I installed the new pan gasket very carefully I will just run it and see what happens. I had though about changing the rear cover because there is oil about and up its gasket from the bottom, but then I found out the alignment thing and figured I would more likley make a bigger problem. I am trying to make everything repair friendly so if a problem arises I can fix it with out too much BS.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Are you using shorter bolts with the new pan?

Quick Reply: oil leak with engine just sitting (Autokraft pan)