Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Picked up my V... I have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Picked up my V... I have a few questions...

Alright guys,
Well i made the journey to Austin to meet the seller of the car. Needless to say, the car had a couple additional flaws i was unaware of but nothing major that could kill the deal for me. Im just picky. There are a few cosmetic flaws on the body but my paint/body hook-up is going to take care of fixing those and ill most likely have him paint the whole car for me so its perfect again. We all know black shows everything and being an 04 with 100k miles, it has some chips/flaws as expected. I went this route though because i have a lot of friends in the right places that can get me good prices on everything ill need. Figured id save some money and buy a cheaper car so i can spend the difference on mods and be ahead of the game. Car came with a K&N intake, skip shift eliminator and a Magnaflow catback. Next mods will be cut-springs with the mightymouse kit, B&M short throw shifter and a tune.

First i would like to know what weight oil you guys use? How many quarts does this thing take? I also plan to do plugs/wires on it so any suggestions on those would be greatly appreciated!

Now... Over the past few days of driving it (runs and drives great btw and everything works as it should so far), I have noticed a faint whining/squealing type sound coming from under the hood. As i lightly press the accelerator at idle, it speeds up a little but once I start driving, i cant hear it anymore. Its really only noticeable if im idling beside something that the noise can echo off of and if im listening closly. To me, it sounds like power steering or maybe a pulley/belt noise. Its really hard to tell. Is there anything i should look for under there or is there any common issue that causes this?

The car will need tires soon. The current size it has on it is 275/40/18's in the rear and 245/45/18's up front. I like the staggered look and the 275's fit nicely but am i at my limit width wise? I plan to lower the car with MightyMouse's kit and cut springs very soon and dont want to run into any clearance issues. What tire size would be best for me?

Do these cars have issues with 6th and reverse synchros going bad? The clutch feels great and the car shifts like butter 1st-5th but 6th and reverse are kind of a pain to get in there and they will give me a little grind on the odd time. If im careful and shift slow, its fine but just throwing it in there quickly, it doesnt shift as smooth as the other gears. Just wondering if its a common issue? I have a tranny guy that will rebuild it for cheap if i decide to go that route so its not a huge deal but im curious to know who else has experienced this?

I can hear/feel a little noise/slack in the suspension. Nothing major but the odd time when i hit an abrupt bump at low speed, i can hear that something has play in it and moves a little like a rattle almost. Im hoping its just from the factory shocks or shock bushings because that would be an easy fix. Again, the car has 100k on it so its obviously been a daily driver and its not going to be as tight as the day it rolled off the showroom floor. Most of these things are expected with age/mileage but does anyone know what it could be? Im hoping its something i can tighten or replace while im under the car to lower it in a week or so. And... When im driving and there is a grade change in the road, i can feel the front end wanders a little. Do i need to the bushing upgrade front and rear maybe or can it be something else i need?

When im making a slow left or right turn (cant remember which at the moment), i hear a faint rubbing sound coming from the rear left side. Could it be the tire rubbing on something or should i look for anything else under the car? Its not loud and it doesnt sound like a bad rubbing sound. Sounds like the tire barely touching the fender lining or something but im not sure if thats actually what it is.

Every once in awhile, i can hear a little slack in the driveline. Im thinking its in the rear end. Its usually only when i reverse and then put it in first to go forward again, i hear a slight clack as it tightens up (happened twice since ive had it) but only if i listen close for it and try to make it happen.

Sorry for the long post but im **** about my vehicles and i want to be sure i dont have any issues i need to address immediately. Most of these things are things i can assure the average person wouldnt even notice. Im just super picky and im picking the car apart from top to bottom because thats what i do. lol

Now, a few things i am looking for if anyone has them laying around.

-2 tire pressure sensors (2 of mine arent reading)

-Ash tray door (Previous owner popped it out because when his radar detector would be plugged in, his hand would hit the plug sticking out when shifting to 5th so he popped it off the hinges and pushed it in a little farther to clear the shifter but has since lost the clips that spring that hold it in the original position).

-Factory Nav unit (If i can find one cheap, i would like to replace my unit due to the buttons flaking). If i cant find one cheap, ill put a nice aftermarket unit in there.

-Stock bose speakers and sub (If anyone has these laying around after doing an audio upgrade and wants to offer them to me for a good price, ill be very interested in picking them up. Id like to go with a nice set of components and a couple 10" subs in the trunk myself but thats going to be one of the last things i invest my $$ in. Only looking for this because i think i have one of my rear speakers going out when i really crank it and the stock sub was removed at some point)

-Sunroof switch panel (Just want to replace it because the sunroof **** is chipping a little like the buttons on the radio)

-Spare tire (Didnt come with one but the jack is in there. Would prefer a fullsize spare if anyone has an extra factory wheels laying around with a tire and in good shape)

-Black drivers side window switch panel (Light chipping... just want to replace it to be perfect)

Thats all i can think of at the moment. The car has black/tan interior and eventually i will swap the carpet and seats for black ones to make the car black on black but ill wait for the right deal to come along to do that. The interior is in great shape! Only reason id change it is because i prefer the black. Keep in mind, i bought this car for cheaper than ive seen any other V's selling for and it came with an extra rear diff so even though ive prob made it sound bad... lol, its really a nice car in good shape with expected wear/tear on it. For what i paid, I can afford to invest some $$ and ill still be in good shape.

Thanks guys and sorry so long! I get carried away when i start typing about cars... lol

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 02-26-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Alright guys, Im ....picky.
Thats all I have to say..........wait you already said it..

Still loving my V with 105k on the clock, when I have time to drive it. Troubles????..........same as every other car out there
Old 02-27-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Thats all I have to say..........wait you already said it..

Still loving my V with 105k on the clock, when I have time to drive it. Troubles????..........same as every other car out there
Lol! Just got off work and drove the car home. Im def being picky because i love this thing! Drives nice and got me 23 mpg on the ride home. Not too shabby for 405 hp V8... lol
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry man, I can't bring myself to read all of that.

Congrats on getting the car!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:45 AM
TECH Regular

Congrats on the purchase. Loooong post......

Here in Texas, 10w30 is a good oil. Use NGK TR55 plugs.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 AM
gex
Teching In

Did you buy that V from Eric Tuckers Motorsports? If so I looked at it on there website, made a offer and never heard back. I did end up finding a V though.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

How much did you pay for the car?

I fixed my radio up 90%. I painted the ***** after wet sanding them completely white with 400 grit. First I did them with flat black which was to flat. Then I misted gloss black on over the flat black. Not a perfect match but pretty close. If you do this, be sure to use enamel paint. I tried with lacquer first, and it caused some weird reactions in the plastic. I had to sand it off and start over.

I touched the buttons up with enamel black semi-gloss model paint and a tiny q-tip styled brush. It's a little more shiny than new buttons, but it matched my finger polished buttons pretty well.

There is also this type of option. It takes some time and skill, but it should be more of a perminant repair. New buttons are also available and cost about $12/ea. There is info on this in the FAQ at Cadillac Owners Group.

As far as the suspension rattles, I've had several other cars where sway bar end links or bushings caused small to major clunks under the car. Check yours. Any play in either will make noise.

I'm not sure if reverse is synchronized but it won't grind if you put it into first gear then quickly into reverse. I do it as habit because my last car would grind reverse if I didn't.

Last edited by Gus_Mahn; 02-27-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guy! Sorry for the forever long post! I was bored at work so I was subconciously just killing time... Lol

I bought the car off a private seller in Dallas.

Bought the car for $12,100 and it came with an extra rear diff. Cant complain. yeah it needs a couple minor things but nothing more than any other car would need. Haven't seen many V's with high mileage or not selling for under $14,500 so I think it was a pretty good deal. Looking under the car, it looks super straight and pretty clean. Autocheck was spotless so I know it's never been in any major accidents or anything. It's a solid car overall.

Thanks for the suggestions! That was my first thought when I heard it clunk around a little. I had to do the sway bar end links and bushings on both my 03 cobra and my srt8 and it fixed the problem. Hope it's that simple this time!!!

So NGK TR55's are the plugs I wanna run? Should I do some nice MSD wires too or stick with stockers?

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 02-27-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone else care to tackle my 5 hour story?? lol
Old 02-27-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by L82gofast
Congrats on the purchase. Loooong post......

Here in Texas, 10w30 is a good oil. Use NGK TR55 plugs.
what gap?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5w30. 6qts

Stock wires on any lsx motor msds don't do anything

Sounds like u need syncros and I'm not sure if you've put carpet in a car but it's a royal pain if it's not molded like factory

Don't do an aftermarket head unit because it displays when the car is in comp mode. Many other functions u will lose
Old 02-27-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by itsslow98
5w30. 6qts

Stock wires on any lsx motor msds don't do anything

Sounds like u need syncros and I'm not sure if you've put carpet in a car but it's a royal pain if it's not molded like factory

Don't do an aftermarket head unit because it displays when the car is in comp mode. Many other functions u will lose
Thanks for the info man. Oil change along with plugs and wires i will do soon. Not sure when they were changed last so it cant hurt.

Any gapping recommendations on the plugs?

And yeah, i think the synchros are shot. Ill get the tranny built by my buddy when i have time to be without the car for a couple days.

And no, never put carpet in that wasnt molded. I bet it would be a bitch! If i switch, i plan to find used black OEM carpet in excellent shape on ebay to buy and ill sell off my tan stuff afterward.

Comp mode? What is that? Just got this thing so i havent even learned of all the goodies yet! lol Does the stock navi unit have RCA outputs that i can hook up a system to? And can an ipod connection be used on the stock navi unit?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try flushing the clutch fluid before having the trans rebuilt, this will help. You'll also get into the habit of shifting into 4th then Reverse. I don't think there is a Reverse syncro.

Traction Control Off - hit the traction control button once and you can spin the tires in a straight line only. The stability system will engage if you go the slightest amount sideways.

Competition Mode - hit the traction control button twice within 5 seconds and you can slide the rear end out about 30-45 degrees before the stability system kicks in.

Stability System Off - hold the traction control button for 5 seconds and the stability stystem is turned completely off. Hold on and have fun.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

It's a T56..yes Reverse has a Synchro, it's Bronze, and it's VERY rare that it messes up.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh yeah. Sorry, I welded mine to the shaft when my lockout solonoid went a couple years ago. It was nearly impossible to get it into reverse. I didn't get to tear it apart because it was covered under warranty.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

As far as clunks or slacks in the drive train and suspension...thats just a part of owning this car. The stock bushings(everywhere), motor mounts, etc are all very soft (thanks caddie) and don't last very long. There are a lot of aftermarket parts to help "tighten" up the car.

EDIT: also a lot of people coming over to GM from other brands seem to have issues with reverse. There is a lockout on reverse so its just habit now to 1st to reverse or another gear to reverse like stated above.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Try flushing the clutch fluid before having the trans rebuilt, this will help. You'll also get into the habit of shifting into 4th then Reverse. I don't think there is a Reverse syncro.

Traction Control Off - hit the traction control button once and you can spin the tires in a straight line only. The stability system will engage if you go the slightest amount sideways.

Competition Mode - hit the traction control button twice within 5 seconds and you can slide the rear end out about 30-45 degrees before the stability system kicks in.

Stability System Off - hold the traction control button for 5 seconds and the stability stystem is turned completely off. Hold on and have fun.
Ok, ill def flush the clutch. Is that hard to do? I know the clutch was replaced at around 65k miles or so by the dealer under warranty (so i was told). But... im not sure if that will fix my problem. When i just throw it into 6th, it grinds unless i hold it there tight and let the clutch out slow. Trying to use reverse, even if i go from 1st or 4th to reverse, it helps a little but its like it barely engages in gear and i have to shove the shifter almost to the dash to get to it. When i start reversing, if i dont go slow and take it easy, it will grind, pop out and ill have to shove it back in but usually the 2nd time i get it in, its good to go. Its just embarassing so id like to figure out what it is so i can fix it. I dont get it... 6th and reverse are usually the gears that stay in the best shape the longest because they never get slammed. 2nd and 3rd are usually the ones with issues if any.

I held down the traction control button and it did nothing. Should a message pop up saying it is off? I would prefer to just turn it completely off everytime when i get in the car. I dont like stability control unless its raining or someting. Thanks for the help btw!!
Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
As far as clunks or slacks in the drive train and suspension...thats just a part of owning this car. The stock bushings(everywhere), motor mounts, etc are all very soft (thanks caddie) and don't last very long. There are a lot of aftermarket parts to help "tighten" up the car.

EDIT: also a lot of people coming over to GM from other brands seem to have issues with reverse. There is a lockout on reverse so its just habit now to 1st to reverse or another gear to reverse like stated above.
Yeah, since i posted this, ive done some research along with asking some other V owners about it and it seems to be very common. My buddys V has the same slack/sloppy suspension feel. Ill have to order all the bushings, solid motor mounts, sway bar kit, etc to cure that. I like the car to feel good and tight. The way it is right now, i wouldnt feel comfortable railing corners with it yet.

Oh and BTW, i posted that i had a rubbing sound above, i noticed today its just a piece of the fender liner that touches the tire when i turn. Ill just cut a little off to fix that problem...

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 02-28-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Picked up my V... I have a few questions...