Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump issues

Background:
I installed a used 03 Tahoe Fuel Pump Assy into my OEM, 97 Cherokee gastank as part of my 03 5.3L swap. Finally got the engine running and monitered the fuel pressure. Never saw it go close to the 60psi I thought it was supposed to supply, even after pulling the vacuum line of the regulator.

Fast forward a few days and I try to start the engine. I heard the fuel pump run for 2 seconds at key ON. Engine started normally but died a few seconds later. Fine, key off, key on, no pump noise............oh crap.

All the fuses are good, relays are good, 12vdc being supplied to the pump. So the pump has crapped out. WONDERFULL!!!

I started looking for a replacement pump only, I don't need or want to replace the entire pump assy. Herein lies the problem. I've looked on the Delphi, AC Delco, and Bosch websites for a fuel pump for a Z code application. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

I know my search skills are weak....but not that weak.

What am I missing here. Is there something so unique about this pump that it can only be sold in a complete assembly package? Will a standard replacement pump explode and kill a bunch of nuns and orphans if it's used with corn-gas?

HELP!!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Will a standard replacement pump explode and kill a bunch of nuns and orphans if it's used with corn-gas?
I don't care who you are - that's funny!

If you buy a replacement, stay the hell away from Airtex!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just from looking at the pump/module assy on Rockauto.com, it looks like there are two different pumps. One for a Robust Fuel System and a non-robust. It also looks like you could adapt a Walbro 255 or a Bosch 040 pump into the stock module.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked the specs for the Bosch pump. Seems that there many flavors of the 040.

http://www.boschfuelpumps.com/specs.html

Goggled the Walbro pump and found a lot of knockoffs on ebay.

How do these pumps differ from each other? Ethanol compatible.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump issues