Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Common fitment question about lowering springs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Common fitment question about lowering springs...

Why do some manufactures and company have different application yrs for there springs.
some sites say 93-02 and some say 93-97 and 98-02??? how are they different and are they interchangeable. from '93 to say '00?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it's just the spring rates differ, usually in the front. The LS1's weigh a bit less and some companies try to adjust for this.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea any 4th gen spring will work regardless
Old 02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

so i shouldnt worry,,, i have an lt1 (hence heavyer) so big deal if it sits a little lower if i used a ls1 set... might actually like it better uhh.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

What springs? Pro kit by chance?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont really care the kind,, whatever i can get cheap. I was hopeing to get rid of it for a ls1 car some day.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
i dont really care the kind,, whatever i can get cheap. I was hopeing to get rid of it for a ls1 car some day.
Shouldn't be hard to get some 93-97 springs "cheap".

If they were all the same wouldn't they be the same part number?

The spring rates effect how the car handles to a huge degree.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the reason I said pro-kits are because I know that there's a fairly big difference between the LS1 and LT1 springs, with the LS1 springs usually being a bit too soft and the LT1 springs actually working better for both the LS1 and LT1.

Strano springs are said to be about the best around here, and I'm assuming that they'll be perfectly fine on either car.

BTW, spring rates are important, but shocks and sway bars make a bigger impact on handling than springs, unless you have springs that have poor rates (aka, Sportlines are not built for handling).
Old 03-07-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

im not trying to get it to handle better,,, same as stock would be fine with a lower stance,,,, i dont race my car so why get a stiffer spring just to rattle the car to cr@p on rough roads. Alot of ppl who use there car for everyday street use are stupid to think a stiffer spring is cool.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im not trying to get it to handle better,,, same as stock would be fine with a lower stance,,,, i dont race my car so why get a stiffer spring just to rattle the car to cr@p on rough roads. Alot of ppl who use there car for everyday street use are stupid to think a stiffer spring is cool.

...And a lot of people who simply want to lower their car with the cheapest springs possible, AND don't undersatnd that when you lower the car, you give up suspension travel, therefore you HAVE to make the springs stiffer so you don't bottom out the suspension......are very stupid too!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
...And a lot of people who simply want to lower their car with the cheapest springs possible, AND don't undersatnd that when you lower the car, you give up suspension travel, therefore you HAVE to make the springs stiffer so you don't bottom out the suspension......are very stupid too!!!
Exactly....if you don't have as much room for your suspension to do it's work, it HAS to get it done with the room it has. If you had stock spring rates on a 1-2" drop, you'd ride the bump stops every time you touched an imperfection in the road. BMR and Strano's have about 550 lb*in for the front rates, compared to stock's 292 (on an ls1)....and that's only a 1.25" drop.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Our springs will work great for all year 4th Gen F-bodies.

The front springs are a 550# linear rate and the rears are a 160# dual rate spring.

Additional information regarding our lowering springs along with other BMR products can be found HERE

Here is a picture to give you an idea of the ride height-
Attached Thumbnails Common fitment question about lowering springs...-img_4157.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
Our springs will work great for all year 4th Gen F-bodies.

The front springs are a 550# linear rate and the rears are a 160# dual rate spring.

Additional information regarding our lowering springs along with other BMR products can be found HERE

Here is a picture to give you an idea of the ride height-
that doesn't seem to be a good picture to show the ride height with your springs since the wheel/tire size is non standard on the car shown. It looks great but it doesn't accurately show what a typical car would look like.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

[quote=pjb;13015353]that doesn't seem to be a good picture to show the ride height with your springs since the wheel/tire size is non standard on the car shown. It looks great but it doesn't accurately show what a typical car would look like.[/quote

True they are not the STOCK rims and tires but I do feel they represent a typical mod for a 4th gen.

I do have pictures of a car with stock rims and tires if you are needing a better reference point to help with your spring purchasing decisions-
Attached Thumbnails Common fitment question about lowering springs...-ws6_sp001.jpg   Common fitment question about lowering springs...-ws6_sp001_2.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Thanks!!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
True they are not the STOCK rims and tires but I do feel they represent a typical mod for a 4th gen.

I do have pictures of a car with stock rims and tires if you are needing a better reference point to help with your spring purchasing decisions-
Those look great!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Of cource I know that a lowered spring is going to be stiffer then stock....but thanks for pointing out the obvious. I was talking about a pro kit spring compared to a sportline.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of cource I know that a lowered spring is going to be stiffer then stock....but thanks for pointing out the obvious. I was talking about a pro kit spring compared to a sportline.
Wait....what? Are you saying that a sportline and a pro kit will ride the same? Or did you mean that you don't need a stiffer spring when you drop your car an additional .5"? I don't quite get what you mean.