General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

low volts- bad alt??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default low volts- bad alt??

Last night while driving the check gauges light came on in my 98 ta and i noticed the volts were reading a little low. Then when i reved it, they went back up and the check gauges light went off for a second then came back on. Today i drove it to see if it was still acting up and it was. It slowly went lower and lower in the yellow on the volt gauge. Im assuming my alternator is going out??? Im hoping i can fix it myself cause im strapped4cash right now. Is there anything else i should check? I havent had a chance yet but am planning on taking it by an auto parts store or two and having them put their meter on it.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The two things to check are your wiring and your alternator. Its most likely the alternator, but never assume.

As you said, bring it to the Auto parts store and have them do a charging system test.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Just got back from taking by autozone. They said its reading low volts and not charging the batt good, so i probly need an alt. How do you go about checking the wiring? Is it kind of a visual test, just checking to see if they look ok?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the thread jack but I'm also curious about this. How many wires are supposed to me in the clip for an LS1 alternator? My brothers for some reason has one and that doesn't seem right to me.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There should only be 2 wires. A red one going from the alt to the batt, and a red one going from terminal "L" to the PCM. The alternator case is ground.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You ned to ckeck the excitor wireplugs on top of the alternator? Called excitor wire, it supposed to tell the alternator when to charge- could be broken. This is a common problem on these cars. Mine was broken near the connector so sometimes it was connection and sometimes not and the voltage was pending between 10.5-11.5V. Much cheaper to check this before anything else. Location on this wire is from alternator up between engine and powersteering pump. Color is RED and it is a thin bastard.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Launching!

thanks vikingramair, i'll have to check that
Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
Sorry for the thread jack but I'm also curious about this. How many wires are supposed to me in the clip for an LS1 alternator? My brothers for some reason has one and that doesn't seem right to me.
Yep just one on that connector