PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Read the VCM with the DOORS OPEN !!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I Read the VCM with the DOORS OPEN !!!!

We are trying to get my friends new LS3 to start in a 2000 Corvette.
SD tune, 228/234 cam, it has to be reprogrammed.
I read the stock file first while the doors were open and the security light flashing. Then I uploaded a new program, with the doors open. The car would not start. It has some security code plus many other issues.

I just read that the doors must be shut for read or write. Is the file that I read corrupted because the doors were open??? Can I fix it??
It's the only one that I have to rewrite. I tried loading a file from my 99 but it would not write to the car. Is it triggering the security code that will not let the car start because I read with the doors open??? Has anyone ever had this experience.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read and write files to vehicles including Vettes with the doors open all the time. I've never had it be an issue ever.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

No prob with the doors !!! OK, that's great news.
It must have some other security problem. I will probably disable VATS to get it running. It starts and dies, fires up for one second and dies.
No codes for sensors, just a bunch of wierd codes from the past. Security code, steering sensor angle, etc, I need to clear all of the codes and start over. There is something that is keeping it from running.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you happen to use a differant VIN?
Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Once read mine w/ my fly open, didn't make any difference . j/k, lol. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I read and write files to vehicles including Vettes with the doors open all the time. I've never had it be an issue ever.
So do the dealers, I've never seen one close the door to flash the PCM
Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

OK, here is the latest. I tried to load a program from my 99 into his 2000 (with doors open). It would not accept the file so I did a write entire. Somehow, that forced my 99 program into his 2000, now I have a communication problem with the VATS code 1631. The PCM is not getting the fuel OK signal from the BCM So the car won't start.

I saved the first program from the 2000, so I had to copy all of the values from the 99 program to the 2000 program, then 'write entire' loaded the new 2000 program, still had comm issues. Had to relearn the BCM - PCM communication. Now it starts, but will only run 3000-4000 rpm, won't run with less that 1/2 throttle so there are more issues. No codes (except 0102 for MAF) Now what? I'm out of ideas..
Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why the hell did you write entire with another cars file?...especially an F-Body into a Vette...they have different software in them for a reason.

Write the cars stock file back into the car (write entire, completely stock file). Then do a VATS re-learn. Then start it up and do a CASE learn. It really sounds like you don't know what you're doing, and you're risking creating more problems than you're going to fix.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Mike, If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be asking dumb questions would I ??
Read the sig, my 99 is a C5, his is a 2000 C5. Now we know that does not work.
I did write entire the 2000 program back into the car.
VATS relearn ?? Is that the code 1631: ign on 11 minutes, off for 30 sec, on off on off etc?
We did the code 1631 relearn, still have some 'no comm' codes. Going to try that again.
Exactly what will a CASE learn do?
Thanks for the input. This a car with a lot of changes, so it's a mystery.

Last edited by racecar; 03-01-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Banned

If you need a case learn, it will set the error code for it. I've ran into the same issue, of no reving past 2500, when putting the older OS in the never PCM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mistake, I didn't realize they were both C5's, sorry. But regardless...you've gotta do more research before you go flashing files into cars as you could cause real problems.

A CASE learn is Crank Angle Sensor Error...it will ask you to rev the engine to 4000 RPM and it will then cut like a rev limiter...I've found when you do a write entire, sometimes it's necessary, even if you write the original file right back in.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Corvette's are very touchy computers as you found out.I never leave the doors open or anything electrical drawing when downloading.Alot of times if the car won't start- a simple disconnect/reconnect the battery can solve the issue.

Hard to say without seeing the car but I'm sure it's something simple.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

I wrote the entire original file back into the car (good idea Mike), then did write calibration with the minimum amount of changes to make it run: IFR for LS2 injectors, MAF table for LS7 MAF, DTC for no cats. Then we did another VATS relearn and tried to start the car, IT STARTED !!! and it runs good in the garage. Then scanned for codes, have none. The VATS relearn should set a 1630 to show that it worked, but there is no code so the relearn did not work.

If I check codes from the buttons in the car it has several no comm, and service vehicle soon, but no number codes. When we ran the motor again, the oil pressure shot up to 130, no way. We can see the pressure on the accusump, it is 50. So what's up. This oil pressure was a problem before the new motor. After reading the service manual to find the loss of comm issues, I am thinking that the BCM has a problem, that's why it will not relearn, and oil pressure is wierd, and a few other issues . But my HPt scanner shows no codes.

Good news is that it is drivable, I told him to take it to the Chev dealer for an elec diagnosis. Tracking down those shorts and grounds in the BCM is too much work with a voltmeter.

I coached him through this forged LS3 build and offered to program the new motor since the motor is the same as mine, but so far it has been a real mystery. I will try a SD tune with the VE numbers from my car as soon as we get these elec issues solved.

Thanks to everyone for the input, it's been like forensic science to make this new motor work with a car that has some issues to add to the confusion.
My buddy is happy and he will be out there racing this year with me so all is good. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by racecar; 03-02-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Search this Thread