Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise when accelerating hard!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise when accelerating hard!?!?

Just got my LS1/4l60e into my 57. Runs great, smooth, powerful ,etc...BUT, when I really get on it and accelerate hard, there is an aweful grinding noise. It sounds like its under my feet (tranny area). My first suspicion would be the transmission. It was a fresh rebuild, but maybe not a good one??
Otherwise, it seems to shift fine and run out well, but that grinding noise has me worried!

Any ideas????
Old 02-28-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look around the driveshaft and other areas to see if you have any clearance issues when the engine is under torque. Also, if you can see the flexplate, look for rubbing or loose bolts on it that could be rubbing.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Might check your rear end. Mine made a nice grinding noise right before it locked up.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BadVRod
Might check your rear end. Mine made a nice grinding noise right before it locked up.
I was just thinking about the rearend and driveshaft length when I read this other post.. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...sion-case.html .
Old 02-28-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default noise

Originally Posted by 55chevy
I would look around the driveshaft and other areas to see if you have any clearance issues when the engine is under torque. Also, if you can see the flexplate, look for rubbing or loose bolts on it that could be rubbing.
good idea.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

I jacked the rear end up and noticed that the floor pan tunnel just above the universal joint where the drive shaft meets the c4 differential has some gouging/scraping in it. The drive shaft/rear end joint must be flexing enough to touch it when put under a heavier load (ie, hard acceleration) to touch it. Hopefully this is the problem and the tranny is fine! We'll see...I'll make some adjustments/modifications so the universal joint can't make contact with the undercarriage and see if that solves it.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like the car must be lowered. I've had that problem when the pinion angle was screwy or the car was lowered too much for the available transmission tunnel clearance.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevrev
I jacked the rear end up and noticed that the floor pan tunnel just above the universal joint where the drive shaft meets the c4 differential has some gouging/scraping in it. The drive shaft/rear end joint must be flexing enough to touch it when put under a heavier load (ie, hard acceleration) to touch it. Hopefully this is the problem and the tranny is fine! We'll see...I'll make some adjustments/modifications so the universal joint can't make contact with the undercarriage and see if that solves it.
I'm not familiar with the c4 diff but I would think that there is some type of torque arm or stabilizer that helps to hold the pinion down during high torque. I still have my leaf springs but I have Caltracs that prevents the rotation of the axle during takeoff. It sounds like you are on the right track, good luck.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Default No more grinding!

Just wanted to post an update on this issue. Redesigned the rear diff mount to give it more stability.

No more grinding noise when I accelerate!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:14 PM

Default no more grinding?

what was the remedy? having same issue w lowered ss

Quick Reply: Grinding noise when accelerating hard!?!?