Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HARSH ride post Moser 9 inch install?? Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HARSH ride post Moser 9 inch install?? Ideas?

All,

I installed a moser 9 inch, moser adjustable torque arm, and an adjustable panhard bar a few months ago.

I immediately noticed (as mentioned in other threads) the rear of my car is 1-2 inches higher now.

My problem is that the suspension/rebound when I go over bumps in the road while driving is incredibly HARSH. It acts like the rear springs are too stiff or that the shocks are not functioning correctly now?? A small bump in the road seems like a huge pothole (based on how it feels and sounds from within the car). Raised bumps are much worse than holes in the road. Hitting a small 1 inch rise in the road will rattle your teeth.

I have been under the car multiple times, made sure everything is clearanced and not rubbing. I have my pinon angle correct.

Any other ideas?? New springs? Shorten my factory springs? Something else? Any help is appreciated. Thx.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

My situation was opposite after installing a Strange 12-bolt. My ride was too harsh with the stock rearend and the extra weight of the 12-bolt improved the ride. I think in your situation that the lighter weight of your new 9" rearend is causing the shocks to be too stiff. I don't know what shocks you have and I'm not sure what shocks would work better with your rearend, but I think the problem could be solved with adjustable shocks.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ride should not be any different, I'll bet the torque arm bracket (or torque arm) is hitting either the floor sheetmetal or one of the seat belt bolts that protrude from the floor. There is only three things I can think of that would affect the ride quality. The first being you have to check for clearance problems with the rear in the loaded position, meaning, jack stands under the rear-end, not under the frame and allowing the rear-end to hang down. Even if the spring cups are positioned higher on your new rear, this should not cause the chassis to be any stiffer.
Another thing that could affect ride quality would be if the driveshaft is bottomed out in the transmission. I highly doubt this is the problem.
The third thing is the pinion angle. Even though you mentioned you have the angle properly adjusted, I would check it out again. Bob
Old 02-28-2010, 10:48 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Predator
My situation was opposite after installing a Strange 12-bolt. My ride was too harsh with the stock rearend and the extra weight of the 12-bolt improved the ride. I think in your situation that the lighter weight of your new 9" rearend is causing the shocks to be too stiff. I don't know what shocks you have and I'm not sure what shocks would work better with your rearend, but I think the problem could be solved with adjustable shocks.
The nine inch is heavier than the 12 bolts, and the 12 bolts are heavier than the stock 10 bolt. Bob
Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EPP Automotive Performance
The nine inch is heavier than the 12 bolts, and the 12 bolts are heavier than the stock 10 bolt. Bob
Thanks for the heads up Bob. It must be the new high performance 9 inch rears that are lighter. One thing I do know is that the heavier weight of my 12-bolt has smoothed-out my ride. I should have gotten my information correct before responding. "Sorry" to the OP.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah it's definatley something that Bob mentioned. My 9" was spooled and it still rode better than my 10-bolt. Smoother, but not quieter cause of the spool. What torque arm did you go with? I went with the tunnel mount and I did notice a stiffer ride, but nothing like what your describing.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

did u install the spacers on the top of the springs op? my ta rode higher after the 9" install. i took out the spacer and seemed to bring it down a little. if u do this u should slide a piece of hose aroud the top couple coils in order to eliminate any rattling of the spring where it contacts body.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sprayed 99
did u install the spacers on the top of the springs op? my ta rode higher after the 9" install. i took out the spacer and seemed to bring it down a little. if u do this u should slide a piece of hose aroud the top couple coils in order to eliminate any rattling of the spring where it contacts body.
Good idea. Bob
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

every once in a while over big bumps the rear clunks pretty hard, but most of the time it rides like a stock one did. i think i'm going to take the spacers out of my bump stops. that might allow the suspension to travel a little more (now that its lowered) without bottoming out on those bump stops....i'll have to post with my findings..
Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by S.O.MWS6
every once in a while over big bumps the rear clunks pretty hard, but most of the time it rides like a stock one did. i think i'm going to take the spacers out of my bump stops. that might allow the suspension to travel a little more (now that its lowered) without bottoming out on those bump stops....i'll have to post with my findings..
i bet u its not your bump stops but the torque arm is contacting the body back where it mounts to the rear as bob fro epp stated
Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

When the pinion angle was incorrectly set on my SS, the rear end was 1-2 inches higher. A speed shop did not set the correct pinion angle and eventually the TQ arm was pushed all the way forward, it even moved the wheels forward as well.

Quick Reply: HARSH ride post Moser 9 inch install?? Ideas?