Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 10pt Rollcage, Lightweight Carpet, Winter Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another 10pt Rollcage, Lightweight Carpet, Winter Install

Well, seeing all these winter projects coming along got me motivated to post up some progress pics of my project. The car had a 6pt MS rollbar last year and I've converted it to a 10pt rollcage over the past couple weeks. My back isn't what it used to be so I can only work on this a couple hours at a time so it's going a bit slower than I wanted.

I had to add a bend in top forward bar to get the bar up into the t-top so my big fat head/helmet could clear it lol... I also had to fix the bends at the top of the windshield, and at the dash to get it to fit correctly. I bought this kit used (he only used the 6pt portion) from a local guy and was told it was an Art Morrison piece, but it looks like a Chris Alston kit from the swingout door bar design? It also came with unused forward bars to make it into a rollcage.

Here's some pics of the cage progress.

Trial fitting the DS forward bar.

Adding the sidebars to the main hoop...

Top of the winshield bar, and I didn't even have to move the rearview mirror.

Test fitting the dash.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 03-01-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Here's some pics of the lightweight carpet install. I found this carpet at a local auto parts store. It comes in 3'x6' rolls and each roll weighs 2lbs. So far I've got the front passenger side and front driver side complete. The stock color of the carpet is a medium gray, which was a bit lighter gray than I wanted. After installing it in the car I decided to color match it with some spray paint and it turned out waaaay better than I expected. I just used some paint I had in my garage and it turned out to be a really great match to the factory charcoal color. I used two light coats to get a nice even coverage, and used a wire brush on the carpet after each coat to get rid of the stiffness of the carpet (after it dried) and make it soft again. Also used some lightweight foam to fill in the valleys of the floor to make it smoother and easier to install the carpet. Kept everything in place using 3M Super 74 Foam Fast glue and it's worked pretty well.

Here's some pics of the carpet install so far.

I completely filled in the passenger side footwell with foam since this car will rarely, if ever have a passenger. Sure made the carpet install easier.

This next pic shows the bottom part of the pic after being painted and top is the normal color of the carpet as purchased.

Here is the whole thing painted/brushed out.

Here's a pic showing the carpet after being painted, with some samples. The light gray was how the carpet came in the roll. The other sample is the factory carpet I pulled out of the car.

Here's the carpet as purchased. These rolls were $11.00/each and I've used two of them for the front of the car.

Mike
Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Looks awesome, I love how tucked the front half of the cage is. You can't even see it great work.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good. Id pay ya to do mine, if you were closer
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys. It's been a fun project.

Originally Posted by airfix
Looks awesome, I love how tucked the front half of the cage is. You can't even see it great work.
Thanks alot, and yes I took alot of time to make sure it tucked up in the T-top like that. I would still like to drive this car on the street from time to time and didn't want a big ole' rollcage being seen from the side of the car as it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. Plus, I needed the extra room for the helmet. As it is now my helmet still touches but once I get some racing seats or modify my stock seats to sit lower it'll be good.

Mike
Old 03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Awesome job!!! Looks great.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Looks good. Id pay ya to do mine, if you were closer
I was just thinking the same thing... then I realized you're in Washington! I'm in BC ... Do you do this for a living?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LadyDriven
I was just thinking the same thing... then I realized you're in Washington! I'm in BC ... Do you do this for a living?
LOL,,,, no I work in Civil Engineering when I'm employed. I don't do this for a living but I've been welding/fabricating and turning wrenches as a hobbyist for the better part of 20 years. I also happen to be kinda particular.

Mike
Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice work! I wanna get there soon
Old 03-02-2010, 11:25 AM
7 Second Club

Nice build up, great attention to detail

Derek
Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Looks Awsome!! Im fearing I may have to put a cage in mine one day..Not really wanting too..
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys.

Well, I've been looking for some Weld Prostar wheels with the correct size and backspacing for the new narrowed rearend that's going in the car. Finally found some wheels with the correct width/backspacing (craigslist is great) but they're Weld Draglites. The wheels were in horrible condition, but I brought them back from the dead. These are 15x10 with 4.5" bs and I'm hoping these will work with the 3" narrowed (per side) housing.

Here's the before pics.... Notice how badly pitted, oxidized and water spotted they are.

I spent a couple hours with a 4" cotton buff and some polishing compound. Wasn't able to get all the pits out (too deep), but they look a thousand times better IMO....

Mike
Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 AM
7 Second Club

Daymn, that's great work considering what you started with!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Looks good...I do have a question though...were you able to 100% weld around where the halo met the main hoop? Looks tight and I don't see any gussets...

Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
Looks good...I do have a question though...were you able to 100% weld around where the halo met the main hoop? Looks tight and I don't see any gussets...
Thanks. And yes, it was a very tight squeeze in there. I had to jam the MIG torch in far as it would go, pulled the trigger and hoped for the best lol... It worked, got a good bead all the way around the back side.

So if I ever do another rollbar/cage and can't get 100% bead, do they allow a gusset/s as a substitute? Someday I might re-do this one in chromoly.

Mike
Old 03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

for the roof bars...yes you can reinforce with a gusset. I personally would add one to yours...sounds like you don't know if you got penetration or not on the top side....

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Thanks. And yes, it was a very tight squeeze in there. I had to jam the MIG torch in far as it would go, pulled the trigger and hoped for the best lol... It worked, got a good bead all the way around the back side.

So if I ever do another rollbar/cage and can't get 100% bead, do they allow a gusset/s as a substitute? Someday I might re-do this one in chromoly.

Mike
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
for the roof bars...yes you can reinforce with a gusset. I personally would add one to yours...sounds like you don't know if you got penetration or not on the top side....
That's probably a good idea. I need to order new female ends for my swingout door bars so maybe I'll order up a couple gussets and burn those in just for piece of mind. Thanks for the tip.

Mike

Quick Reply: Another 10pt Rollcage, Lightweight Carpet, Winter Install