Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bmw considerations

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmw considerations

well i bought a 2005 bmw 530i wrecked. the car had something in the lower portion of the engine bay damaged that holds oil... im considering the worst...im considering the engine block is damaged...my question is what all would be involved to fit a lsx into the car? the lsx wiring does not bother, me as we have retrofitted a few now in older chevys and rx7's. that 2005 bmw electronics now those bother me...any insight is appreciated
Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Teching In

That would be pretty amazing, I think. I have an e60 BMW - all I can say is that would be very intense....if you do take this task, please post info
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the gauges and HVAC to work you will have to figure out the CAN bus electronics, which has not been done very often, if at all.

It would be a great swap though.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Look at how member Civette got his gauges working on 2005 WRX LSx swap. He basically retained the required subaru sensors, some wiring and ECM's to work with gauges.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hefftone
Look at how member Civette got his gauges working on 2005 WRX LSx swap. He basically retained the required subaru sensors, some wiring and ECM's to work with gauges.
Eh...I'd imagine this is a different ballgame. I haven't wired up any 2000+ Beamers, but the redundant electrical systems in 90's Porsche's I have dealt with makes me think this'll only be worse.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about this swap.

Best of luck
Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Launching!

so basically my only option would be autometers and no hvac? unless i find an acquaintance who maps out the electronics for bmw's?
Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished my LS1 swap in a 2000 528i. It took me a few years to figure out the electronics on it. I would not even want to imagine what it would take to get the electronics figured out in that car.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1fastmofo
so basically my only option would be autometers and no hvac? unless i find an acquaintance who maps out the electronics for bmw's?
No, your best option is to keep the BMW ECU and engine wiring harness in the car. Remove the engine and leave everything else. Make the electronics think that the BMW engine is still there.

People have talked about CAN gateways and controllers, but I haven't found much info.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one proven way to make it work. There is a guy that put an LS1 in mid 90's Jaguar sedan, and that is what he did. He kept the stock computer in there to run the gauges and some other functions that were on the CAN bus. His name is Andrew, and he owns Jaguar Specialties. Google him - maybe he'll be able to give you a more specific idea of what you're up against.

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
No, your best option is to keep the BMW ECU and engine wiring harness in the car. Remove the engine and leave everything else. Make the electronics think that the BMW engine is still there.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Teching In

you can fool the ecu.

the computer relies on a few things....system pressures high and low and wether or not it's between...IE, the ac presure switch. GM uses one too, but it's not the same one.

second, all the intelligence is in the control unit. so if the pressure is ok, and it's getting the 'engine-on' or kl-15 switch is on, the AC will work.

so are you bypassing the the entire bmw harness? if you're just running the engine section of the lsx, idk how far you're going to have to go into the DME to make it work. the only things you should have to 'wipe out' are the throttle body, injectors, crank, cam, temp sensor(which may need to be incorperated, i'll check tomorrow at work), and tha'ts all i can think of right now.

PM me with the last 7 of vin so i can get the actual wiring and spec's. i need to know if you got the 530, 535, 540, 545 or 550...or the m5
Old 11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Keeping the stock ECU in the car will not solve the CAN bus issues.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rao
Keeping the stock ECU in the car will not solve the CAN bus issues.
+1
Old 11-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

All of the issues mentioned so far are going to be massive headaches. On top of that I don't think anyone mentioned the DSC (traction control) system. It communicates via can bus with the DME (engine controller) and EGS (trans controller). Depending on how the car is optioned it can have upwards of 20-30 different modules that all have to communicate on multiple bus lines with each other. On top of that they all have to be happy with what the other one is saying. Your cluster will be lit like a christmas tree without various signals coming and going. If you remove the cluster to use autometers you will be setting tons of communication faults. It's a slippery slope.

I pondered an E46 325i LQ9 swap until I dug up the bus charts and realized the fiddling it would take to make it all nice and functional. The E46 compared to the E60 might as well be a small block to an LS motor. Not saying impossible, depending on if it is auto or manual and if it is a NAV you could bypass a few hurdles. I got a used and guaranteed motor for my 02 325i for under $3000 shipped. Out and in, nice easy.

After all that I agree, it would be an awesome swap. If you do move forward with this swap feel free to PM me if I can help. I have considerable experience with these machines.

Quick Reply: bmw considerations