Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Mac mufflers on a V??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mac mufflers on a V??

Well guys,
Been wanting to make my car louder since i got it. Yes... I just got it. lol Im impatient. I have a magnaflow catback that i love the look of but it just doesnt have the bark i want.

Im sure getting some Kooks and eliminating the cats would be a big difference but even then, im afraid the magnaflow still wont be enough for me judging off my experiences with the cobra. Magnaflow was always rather tame even without cats compared to the rest. On that car, i first had a bassani O/R X and bassani catback w/o baffles and it was loud and sounded good but wasnt loud enough to keep me happy. Sold the bassani for a Borla stinger catback and that was SUPER LOUD and sounded mean as hell. Then 2 weeks later my car got stolen... Im just trying to find something that will make the noise i want but not sound like redneck straightpipe loud. lol

Option 1: Run cutouts so i can be loud when wanted but quiet when needed.

Option 2: Cut the mag mufflers out (sell them) and weld in another type of muffler in its place.

Now, im asking about Mac because they were a huge hit in the Cobra world for sound. They sound very similar to flowmaster but a little more aggressive IMO. My buddy had heads/cam/full exhaust (catless) with a Mac catback on his 02 SS and it sounded MEAN AS HELL!! Being this is almost the same motor as the LS1 except a bit better, it should obviously have the same sound his did. Anyone heard Mac on the LS6?

Other options i was considering are SLP resonators in place of the mag muffs which would basically make it a Loudmouth 1 system. Another friend had it on an SS and it sounded insane! Deep and throaty but LOUD too. Would go with Dynomax bullets because they sound great but they dont come stainless. Any other options??

Of course i have considered selling the Mag to buy a louder catback which might ultimately be the best decision as opposed to cutting this one up but im trying to do this in the most cost effective way possible.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love mac on mustangs but have never heard them on LSX motors. try it out so i cna have it as an option.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Love mac on mustangs but have never heard them on LSX motors. try it out so i cna have it as an option.
They sounded SICK on my buddies LS1! That why im wondering if anyone else had ever tried them on a V.

I was listening to clips last night on youtube and the best combo i heard was Kooks LT's, no cats and mag catback with X-pipe but with the mag muffs cut out and some flowmaster super 40's or 44's (cant remember) welded in their place. Its on a black V though.

Im generally not a flowmaster fan because i think they are cheap and i usually always spend a little more for the better stuff (stainless) but borla, bassani, b&b, etc dont really impress me enough to spend a bunch of money on them. All the clips sounded similar to the magnaflow so for the price, mag is the way to go catback wise IMO. I like the Corsa but the price is insane and they still dont really have the deep growl. Its more of a higher pitched slightly raspy sound to me (which i like) but not if i can get something i like just as much for a lot cheaper.

Id like to hear an SLP loudmouth catback on a V though too.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do cutouts for sure! Louder than any catback when you want it, and quiet when you have to be.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by whisler151
Do cutouts for sure! Louder than any catback when you want it, and quiet when you have to be.
That true and thats why i was considering that option. Would you keep the mag though for when i want quiet? I mean, its already on the car and looks good and if the noise i want is going to come from the cutouts anyway, guess it doesnt really matter what i have back there if its sole purpose is to quiet it down when i dont want it to be ear bleeding loud! lol
Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
That true and thats why i was considering that option. Would you keep the mag though for when i want quiet? I mean, its already on the car and looks good and if the noise i want is going to come from the cutouts anyway, guess it doesnt really matter what i have back there if its sole purpose is to quiet it down when i dont want it to be ear bleeding loud! lol
No, I would toss on the stock mufflers when doing cutouts.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

No, I would toss on the stock mufflers when doing cutouts.
Only bad thing is i dont like the look of the stock tips. To me, the stainless catback makes the *** end look alot nicer. At least mag is a little more quiet than the rest so it will still be toned down quite a bit when cutouts are closed.

Or, if i did go back stock, selling the mag could get me alot closer to kooks LT's...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Only bad thing is i dont like the look of the stock tips. To me, the stainless catback makes the *** end look alot nicer. At least mag is a little more quiet than the rest so it will still be toned down quite a bit when cutouts are closed.

Or, if i did go back stock, selling the mag could get me alot closer to kooks LT's...
I will have the tips from my Magnaflow cut and welded on the stock mufflers. I agree, stock tips look like ***.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I will have the tips from my Magnaflow cut and welded on the stock mufflers. I agree, stock tips look like ***.
Yeah man, would def look 10 times better! Stock tips look cheap and tiny.

Only bad thing is if i do that, i wouldn't be able to sell my magnaflow setup missing the tips cause thats a big selling feature... lol
Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

i have a magnaflow cat back and i also thought it was too quite. i cut the mags out and welded the mag tips to a set of flowmaster super 44's and it deffinetly sounds better IMO.

it deffinetly has a drone when cruise or lugging the motor in 6th gear though
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by murderedv
i have a magnaflow cat back and i also thought it was too quite. i cut the mags out and welded the mag tips to a set of flowmaster super 44's and it deffinetly sounds better IMO.

it deffinetly has a drone when cruise or lugging the motor in 6th gear though
Yeah, i heard a V with no cats and flows welded into a mag system and it sounds mean! But yeah... dont know how long id want to deal with that drone since i drive on the highway quite often...
Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Chambered mufflers do not fit this car imo. I personally dont like the sound. I prefer a straight through design ie SLP LM2, Stingers, Magnapacks. Cut out the mufflers in the magnaflow and put in any of the above. The magnaflow magnapack muffler part # is 14416 I believe. Stage Up did it to his car. He has a few vids of it. That should be enough "bark" for you.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Why is it considered cheap if u don't go stainless steel in Texas? A friend has had his custom (Mexican shop) cat back with flowmasters on his 95 chevy 1500 since 2000 without a single issue. Takes it muddin, dd's everyday and has 190 on the clock. Texas doesn't have the issues with salt on the road and alltge dang humidity oxidizing the crap out of everything. U do not HAVE to go stainless steel in Texas, new Mex, Arizona.... And so on.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by big reg
Chambered mufflers do not fit this car imo. I personally dont like the sound. I prefer a straight through design ie SLP LM2, Stingers, Magnapacks. Cut out the mufflers in the magnaflow and put in any of the above. The magnaflow magnapack muffler part # is 14416 I believe. Stage Up did it to his car. He has a few vids of it. That should be enough "bark" for you.
I heard his car. It sounds GOOD!! I might go that route. Im not sure what the stingers sound like on the V. I had them on my cobra and loved them! The SLP resonators i have been considering myself. Wish i could find a clip of both of those to compare!

Still considering running cutouts and if i do, ill prob keep the mag so its at least somewhat mellow when closed.