Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS 6 Mods any Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS 6 Mods any Advice??

A friend of Mine Wants to Do Some Mild Mods to his 01 WS6. What should he do?? He has been Talkin about Roller Rockers but i wasnt sure if LS motors were already roller rockers or not. if they are i figured we could put a bigger Ratio Rocker on and that would Help. also What about a Good Exhaust?? Headers or Cat back any advice??

I Also mentioned Something about Changing the Rear end Gear but i dunno what the Car has Stock. it is a ws6 and a really nice car. But i am not sure what the Ratio is.

he was also talking about putting a programmer on it. What all will That do for the Car. He was wondering about changing shift points and the Speed limiter and some other things. So What would be a good one??

Last edited by LeonbergerG; 03-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what year is the car and is it an auto or a 6 spd?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

its an 01 A4. Absolutely Bone Stock with only 35,xxx miles. and proabably 4 or 5 sets of tires. ha atleast 2 in the rear a year.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

programers are junk pay for a real tune should be 400-600 for a dyno tune he should look into a set of headers,fast 90/90,stall converter
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Headers, good exhaust, lid, atleast a 3600 stall, a good tune from a real tuner is a good starting point.

What brand of stuff depends on how much money wants to be spent
Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fast 90/90 Is that an intake??? Sorry Im a Newbie on these LS1's
Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LeonbergerG
Fast 90/90 Is that an intake??? Sorry Im a Newbie on these LS1's
Yes it is but other parts can be bought for the $1K you'll spend on the 90/90 setup. His car already has an LS6 intake on it which is very capable on most head/cam setups.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Def go with what that guy said^^^^^. Some really nice headers. Kooks has a good set, pretty costly, but well worth it. maybe do a SLP loudmouth exhaust, and def a good tune to get things in the right direction. With just about $300 more, you can even put in a mild cam and pushrods. you already have the 1.7 rockers so youre good to go.

certainly depends on how much you wanna spend
Old 03-04-2010, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Also, seeing how it is an A4, it should have the 3.23 gear ratio in it. prolly gonna wanna change that to 3.73 after mods.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

subframe connectors, rear lca's, headers, y-pipe, cat back. gears 3.73, 3600 stall, cam kit, tune.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO LM exhaust sucks raspy *** with headers.

Look at the rpo codes on the DS door sticker. GU5= 3.23 and GU2 =2.73 gear. Only M6 cars have the GU6 3.42 gear....
Old 03-05-2010, 06:02 AM
TECH Regular

well he did say it was a WS6 so im pretty sure it has 3.23s in it... unless it a clone!!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

if it were my car id do stall, rear suspesion(lca's, phb, t/a, shocks), headers and exhaust, maybe 3.73 rear gear. with that he would be lookin low 12's depending on tires and track altitude/prep
Old 03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
programers are junk pay for a real tune should be 400-600 for a dyno tune he should look into a set of headers,fast 90/90,stall converter
Seems a bit harsh. Look at me for example; I have no access to "dyno tuning" where I live and my programmer (once you learn how to use it) was used to set my long term fuel trims, knock retard, timing advance, afr, gear selection (I didn't need this as mine are stock 323s still), and most importantly on an auto-it firms up shifts and wakes up your trans quite a bit actully. Feels like a whole new animal and really helped tie my bolt on mods together well. You can change shift points etc too and a WHOLE lot more. So I would beg to differ on the "junk" comment, and unless you have heads and cam etc you do not need to have a dyno tune. Also the programmer can be used as a tech 2 GM scanner on all obdII GM cars and it can also data log-in which you can monitor and upload your data to Diablosports site for custom tuning. Funny how the fact that the best tune is a dyno tune quickly translates into "programmers are junk"! Care to back up any of what you say?

Dynos tunes are qreat (but they are a one time deal that has to be done everytime you mod, therefore you pay everytime too. Without heads and cam, it's simply not needed.

Mail order is a great alternative to dyno tunes and you can check with a fellow who calls himself "Frost" on here. Great guy from what I hear and is very good at what he does. You just mail your pcm to him.

Programmers are great for light bolt on to full bolt on cars (especially A4 cars) and for reading, loggin, clearing codes etc etc etc.

I think that would be more accurate info as well as with a little thing called "supporting information".

Gm hightech performance site did a shootout using all the popular handheld programmer (diablo did very very well) and they in fact usually added 2-3 mph traps and a couple tenths redution on et. as well as about 10 rwhp on average. All within "safe parameters" and even in many cases improving mpg. So I say "not junk". Not even close.

Note: the only thing the ls1 vehicle they tested had done to it was headers. Little food for thought.

You really need to find out where he wants to go with his ride and what he wants to do with it first. If heads /cam is in the future, than wait and get a dyno tune for example. But if he is only doing small mods over a period of time, I can say these handhelds are nothing short of amazing when considering how far they have come.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
Not to pick on you here man lol. But really, fast 90/90 on a car already equipped with an ls6 intake? Now THAT is a waste of good cash. Just port your throttle body and you will be happy, and it will compete with fast 90/90 when dealing with a ls1 that is not cammed etc. Hell even with an aggressive cam the ls6 intake works just great. As does the paper air filter.

OP- I say buy a lid (any lid), port the throttle body, headers (pacesetters are cheap and good) and 3inch y (my main regret is not doing the headers in the first place ), pick up a programmer (especially if he's changing gears, it'll do wonders on that A4), get a decent stainless catback (or simple cutout in the stock system (electric ones are great) and you'll be happy for your seat of the pants feel and the amount of money you spent. But remember, for head/cam nitrous etc....go to a dyno tuner.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

read the sticky " so you wanna be fast "
Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FST SS
read the sticky " so you wanna be fast "
X2....It is very helpful to Newbs.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Not to pick on you here man lol. But really, fast 90/90 on a car already equipped with an ls6 intake? Now THAT is a waste of good cash. Just port your throttle body and you will be happy, and it will compete with fast 90/90 when dealing with a ls1 that is not cammed etc. Hell even with an aggressive cam the ls6 intake works just great. As does the paper air filter.

OP- I say buy a lid (any lid), port the throttle body, headers (pacesetters are cheap and good) and 3inch y (my main regret is not doing the headers in the first place ), pick up a programmer (especially if he's changing gears, it'll do wonders on that A4), get a decent stainless catback (or simple cutout in the stock system (electric ones are great) and you'll be happy for your seat of the pants feel and the amount of money you spent. But remember, for head/cam nitrous etc....go to a dyno tuner.

Just my 2 cents.
your 2 cents sucks but i said fast 90/90 bc most people dont stop at bolt ons once they feel the power they want a cam,heads,nitrous,etc.... and why suggest any lid? do you know how well they all fit?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
MASS seller approved

"programmers are junk"! Care to back up any of what you say?

Dynos tunes are qreat (but they are a one time deal that has to be done everytime you mod, therefore you pay everytime too. Without heads and cam, it's simply not needed.

maybe in canada but most tuners around here will retune your car for free if you add something or change something

and programs like diablo are junk imo bc a dyno tune costs 450 and how much does diablo cost?

also frost is 125 and im sure what he does is better than a diablo as well
Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

T-56 swap.