Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Up the antenna !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Up the antenna !!

How come the damn thing comes up when your only listening to CD's. I guess when the system is on it is all on:> Is there anyway to fix it so it goes down when your not listening to the radio? I don't much like the shorty's. I got one on my Stang but I just think they look outta place on a TA.
Thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You can get an aftermarket head unit. Otherwise, there is no way to modify the factory HU to do what you want automatically. You can do it manually by adding a switch in the power antenna wire from the head unit.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You can get an aftermarket head unit. Otherwise, there is no way to modify the factory HU to do what you want automatically. You can do it manually by adding a switch in the power antenna wire from the head unit.
Hey WhiteBird00 do you know what HU's typically offer this feature as not all do and they don't typically list it as one of the advertised options?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Hey WhiteBird00 do you know what HU's typically offer this feature as not all do and they don't typically list it as one of the advertised options?
From what I've seen... Alpine, Kenwood, and Sony head units automatically raise the antenna only when the radio is in use. Pioneer units usually have a menu option that makes it user selectable - you can choose to have the antenna up whenever the HU is on or only when using the radio. Of course that could vary between different models from the same manufacturer so it might not apply to all head units.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've seen... Alpine, Kenwood, and Sony head units automatically raise the antenna only when the radio is in use. Pioneer units usually have a menu option that makes it user selectable - you can choose to have the antenna up whenever the HU is on or only when using the radio. Of course that could vary between different models from the same manufacturer so it might not apply to all head units.
Good to know as I'm thinking of a new Kenwood unit in the near future and I like this feature. My old Panasonic unit will raise an lower it fine, but I'd rather leave it down when I listed to my ipod which is 90% of the time.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WhiteBird00: I was just thinking about doing this. With the top down at highway speed, the whistle of the antenna is annoying.

I looked at your Monsoon sticky, and it looks like the pink wire at pin #8 on the black 10-pin connector is the antenna control. If I want to control the antenna manually, I can install a switch on the pink wire to break the connection so the antenna will come down even when the radio is on.

Is this correct?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by eseibel67
WhiteBird00: I was just thinking about doing this. With the top down at highway speed, the whistle of the antenna is annoying.

I looked at your Monsoon sticky, and it looks like the pink wire at pin #8 on the black 10-pin connector is the antenna control. If I want to control the antenna manually, I can install a switch on the pink wire to break the connection so the antenna will come down even when the radio is on.

Is this correct?
Yes, that's exactly right. The power antenna will go up and stay up as long as there is power on the pink wire. When power is off on the pink wire, the antenna will retract. A simple toggle switch can be used to interrupt power on the pink wire causing the antenna to retract until the switch is toggled back on.