Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions on Vette style filter/reg

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Few questions on Vette style filter/reg

So im using a vette style filter/reg along with an inline 255lph pump for my fuel system, tank is a sumped fuel cell that is in the bed of my s10.

I had a few question,

1. i have my 255 pump located inside the passenger side frame rail right above the rear end so its on the part of the frame that is higher than the rest then i have my filter/reg on the part of the frame that is at an angle down so the return in pointing up out of the regulator. not by much but i wanted to check if this will be a problem, the return line will run back along the frame rail through hole in the bed and up to the -6 return hole located on the top of my cell. I just wasnt sure if this was fine since the return will be going back up a slope to get back into the cell. Will this work? if not how do i need to run this?

2. Is there any distance i have to have between the fuel pump and the filter/reg, the further back i have the filter/reg located on the truck the less line i will need to run as there will be only one feed line going to the motor after the reg then one shorter return line from the filter/reg to the pump then two short lines between the cell and pump and pump and filter/reg. I have it about 2 1/2 feet after the pump right now. is this fine?

3. Should i run an inline filter inbetween the cell and pump? or is the one filter after the pump fine? just curious if running one before the pump would protect the pump at all? if so does anyone have a suggestion for a decently cheap priced inline filter for a -6 pushlock set up?

Any help is appreciated!

THanks!!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

I'm no pump expert but here's my opinions....

1. As long as your external pump is below fuel level (which is sounds like it is) you should be good to go. I don't see the reg position in relation to the pump being a factor.

2. I see your truck looks to be set up for the strip. The G forces you create leaving the line has an effect on pressure. The 58 psi you have at the reg will got down by a certain amount given X feet of line and X amount of G forces at the rail. So the closer you have your reg to the rail, the closer to 58 you will stay.

3. Does the sump pick up have any sort of sock on it to screen anything? If not, I would probably look for something. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you there.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks frito1,

1. Yes the pump is def below the level of the cell, just didnt know how well the return would work since its at an upward slope back to the tank.

2. I would say the filter is halfway between the pump and the fuel rail maybe just a foot or two closer to the pump. Might move it a little forward depending on how much extra line i have.

3. No the sump pick up doesnt have any type of screen so ill look into some type of -6an inline filter.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im thinking im going to order this Summit -6 inline 40 micron fuel filter p/n 230100. Looks like it should work for my needs and is priced well. Will have around $40 tied up in the filter and the two pushlock fittings to adapt to it.

Will that work well for my needs as i just want to make sure nothing gets into the inline pump?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mallory recommends a 100 micron pre filter for rotory vane pumps and 40 micron filters for georotor pumps. Pump inlets need something with low flow loss to trap the big bits.

Quick Reply: Few questions on Vette style filter/reg