Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

springs/swaybars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs/swaybars?

Looking to do a few suspension modifications. Just got Edelbrock SFCs. Considering springs and sway bars. Dont want to spend a whole hell of alot $, but would like to see a decent difference on the street. Any recommendations?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strano springs and Strano sways are great for handling. They provide about a 1.25" drop and will help with your handling. The sways are hollow bars (a bit of weight savings) with 35 mm front/22 mm back, and will help with your handling more than springs!

However, don't replace the springs with lowering springs and keep the shocks stock. They barely are adequate in controlling the stock springs, let alone something with a drop and greater rates. Look into some Koni's or at least some Bilsteins to help.

Shocks + sways > Shocks + springs for handling purposes. If you're looking to get a slight drop and still a great performance increase, get Koni shocks, so the lower perch/hose mod to get about .75"/.5" drop, and get sways. That's around $1150 now with Sam's special prices, and will get you a big increase in cornering performance.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

I will look into it, Is there a cheaper route(package), but still a good difference? SFCs are going on tomarrow. Swaybars are next, waiting for my check on Tuesday to do the springs & shocks.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, Sam has SLP Bilsteins on sale for $409 shipped. They offer a lot better performance than stock shocks, and will still work adequately with lowering springs (such as, you guessed it, Strano's springs). That's around $700 or less for shocks and springs. They won't work as well as Koni's tho

Or, you can do the SLP BIlsteins and sway bars for around $800 or so for a bigger handling improvement, but then you're still not lowered.

What do you do with the car? Is it just street?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I noticed you are looking into upgrading your sway bars for better handling. And as another option for you... I just wanted to suggest to you that UMI Performance offers a solid 35mm and a solid 22 mm rear. Below is a kit price on the both bars! And if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ohptrmpp9e90i1

Thanks Again
Brad
Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if i wanted to stay around $750 I would get koni shocks alone over bilstein + springs.....
Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by garylisko
Looking to do a few suspension modifications. Just got Edelbrock SFCs. Considering springs and sway bars. Dont want to spend a whole hell of alot $, but would like to see a decent difference on the street. Any recommendations?
You have make some choices... I mean, it's be great if the best stuff was the cheapest stuff, but that's not generally how things work.

You should not change springs if you are not also going to change shocks. In fact the shocks are way, way more important to how the car drives than the springs are (and I make springs).

Swaybars are torsion springs that give you more roll control and balance, but are not damped by shocks like coil-springs are. Meaning you can put bars on without a downside to ride or handling where if you do lowering springs with stock shocks you move issues around.

I have no idea if you want to lower the car to lower it, or for handling. If it's to lower it, you need springs (pretty much there is one way to get a little drop with stock springs). If you think you need to lower it to make it handle, that's not the case. Sure springs can help the handling if the package is right---but shocks and bars are way more helpful as individual parts and neither of those firm the ride up like springs will.

I'm not far up the road. I'm in Brookville about 40 miles the other side of Kittaning. I know your roads and the lay of the land. I can certainly help you with a package that best suits your needs and wants, as long as I can get a grasp on what you are after (best done by telephone).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

biggest improvement will be doing Koni's first (even before the SFC's, but sounds like you already did them). Next would be Sam's sway bars, as money allowed. If the look is more important to you and you want it lowered, then you must set your own prioritys for that.

I must have been posting the same time as Sam. he says it better.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

just do what you can afford.. and eventually you will have a complete system.. don't just go the cheap route either.. I'd wait and save.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

I have a camp up in Brookvillie, it isnt too far. A buddy of mine told me your the best around for fbody suspension. My car is mostly street that sees the track in the spring and summer here and there. Lowering isnt a priorty to me either way. I am looking for better handling but at the same time, when i hit bumps dont want to be all over the road. Got the subframe connectors bolted/welded on today, saw an improvement. I have no experience with swaybars, but hear good things, so those are at the top of the list. Im going for both performance and suspension upgrades. By doing better handling suspension, you also loose ride comfort, is there a happy medium?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

By doing better handling suspension, you also loose ride comfort, is there a happy medium?
Koni's with stock springs!!!!

Add in sways, plus a PHB with a poly/roto or poly/rod end, and you're good to go!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Could you send me the link to the Koni's your suggesting.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Google Strano Performance.I would get the koni's first.Spend the money on shocks if that's all you can afford.Save your money and get the hollow sway bars later.The shocks is the single most important suspension mod you can do to your call.Call up Sam Strano and talk to him.He is the man to talk to about this stuff.
1-800-729-1831
Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Could you send me the link to the Koni's your suggesting.
Koni 4/4's or Koni 4/3's

The 4/4's are on car adjustable in the rear, where as the 4/3's are not and have preset adjustments, where as the 4/4 are infinitely adjustable
Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Given your wants, I'll have say you'd want to do shocks and bars and leave the springs be. You don't automatically loose comfort with suspension mods. In fact I'll say that a car on really good shocks and a set of proper bars will not only handle WAY better than you can imagine right now, but will also ride better too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Smile

I decided on Koni Shocks and Sway bars for Tuesday. Thanks for all the advise.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

anyone got a video clip of how their cars handle with Koni shocks?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Sam- Im sold on the Koni Shocks. Are they in stock?, in Brookvillie or just shipped?

Quick Reply: springs/swaybars?