Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rear end

Best place to buy one and what kind of rear end? any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Old 03-03-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob @ Exotic Performance Plus. Get Mosers M9. That's what I'm getting and where I'm getting it from
Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get it with Eric at Midwest chasis and performance. He is making mine as we speak, cant tell you enough about his service and willingness to help. Go there and get one of his fabricated ones and never look back.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SHovV
Bob @ Exotic Performance Plus. Get Mosers M9. That's what I'm getting and where I'm getting it from
Thanks, I appreciate it! My website is back up, only under the new name. They are working on linking it as I write. http://www.eppautomotiveperformance.com/index.php My Camaro received the very first Moser F Body M9, you can see it at this link. http://www.eppautomotiveperformance....Car.php?car=12 Bob
Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent... also, check out this thread. some good info.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...nd-ck-out.html
Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

What kind of power are you making? Or plan on making?

A lot say the 9in for the 6 speed cars! They are heavy so some suggest the Fabed 9in but they are $$

Personally Im ordering a Strange 12 bolt for my 6 speed car in a few days(waitin on taxes to show up) Strange makes an awsome rearend for the $$

I was going to go with a Fabed 9in but was offered a REALLY good deal so I cant pass it up..

Look into http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/
Old 03-04-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

You need to answer 223HAWK's first question before you decide; what kind of power are you ultimately planning on? If you stick with your automatic, it will be easier on the rear than a stick.
AFA strength, the general rule is (lower power handling to higher) 12 bolt, 9 inch, S60.
Cost I have found to be in the same ballpark except for the Midwest Fab 9, which is more. But it also includes a custom torque arm, which could offset some of the cost if you do not currently have an aftermarket torque arm.
I personally prefer the Strange S60 for sheer strength, but the 9 inch has some excellent features as well, and weighs a bit less.
I would not hesitate to deal with Bob at EPP or Eric at Midwest. Both have earned their excellent reputations.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Teching In

okay I am definetally planning on keeping it an auto trans, and as for power, H/C in the future, so around 400ish whp? then FI in the more distant future.. not quite sure but i am guessing no more than 650whp.. any suggestions based off that? 330whp now..
Old 03-04-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Since you only want to purchase one rear end, buy one that will take 650 rwhp. Forget the 12 bolt and go straight for the 9 inch or S60. Most choose the 9 inch, but I still prefer the S60 myself. Either will get the job done.
Time to talk to both Eric and Bob, they have lots of experience in what will be best for your application.
And if you have a stock driveshaft, plan on replacing that as well. The S60 requires a shorter one, and both have a different U-joint type. Although cross-fit u-joints are available, now would be the time to upgrade. I prefer the chromoly, but the aluminum is a quality piece as well, just a bit pricier.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Shot in the dark, but why not a modded 8.8? Cheaper and lighter than a 9" and they have be built to handle well over 1K HP in Mustangs.....what's to say with a little work it couldn't do it in an F-body? Just something to mae you consider ALL of the options.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im trying to figure out what rear end I want as well. The Midwest 9 is nice but, with all the stuff I need, it will be over $3K for it. Kaltech is having a group purchase. A Strange 12 bolt with 33 spline, posi, 3.73, 4 channel ABS and they provide the backing plates was $2855 shipped. I'm pricing out the Moser 9 inch (exoticperformance), Midwest 9 (midwest chassis) and Strange 12 bolt (SJM & Kaltech). The SJM manufacturing looks like a good deal but, do they provide/install the backing plates, put the rear end together? I see where their shipping is seperate and I have no idea how much that would be.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
Im trying to figure out what rear end I want as well. The Midwest 9 is nice but, with all the stuff I need, it will be over $3K for it. Kaltech is having a group purchase. A Strange 12 bolt with 33 spline, posi, 3.73, 4 channel ABS and they provide the backing plates was $2855 shipped. I'm pricing out the Moser 9 inch (exoticperformance), Midwest 9 (midwest chassis) and Strange 12 bolt (SJM & Kaltech). The SJM manufacturing looks like a good deal but, do they provide/install the backing plates, put the rear end together? I see where their shipping is seperate and I have no idea how much that would be.
You can probably build an 8.8 for 2/3 the price of the 9". And you'll still have a clutch LSD and 33 spline axles. And if done correctly you can even make it any width, with any ends you want (for bolt in style axle retention). Worst thing is coming up with a "pretty" way of mounting the TQ arm, as ones I've seen have not been to pretty, but they do the job. Just a lower cost alternative. FWIW the 8.8 ring gear is less than a 1/4" smaller in diameter than the 9" and and only .075" smaller than the 12 bolt. That equates to a pretty beefy rear if you ask me...especially compared to the 7.5" we're stuck with from the "man".
Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called and talked to Eric at Midwest a few weeks ago. I told him I figured 500hp at most in my future and he seemed to think since I don't go to the track and I run street tires I would be fine with a Strange 12. He seems really busy but took time to answer my questions. So I would think a 12 would be fine for you. Strange seems to have better rep for 12 bolts than Moser. My car is a A4.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear Axle

I went with the S60 as the strength between the 9 inch and the S60 is about the same. + the S60 eats up less HP as the pinon in the 9 inch sits lower = more gear contact.

The Strange S60 bolted in and fit like a glove.

It has about 5K miles on it, 0 problems and quite as a mouse.

Last edited by davidws6; 03-04-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

let it be known to all that we are a direct dealer for Strange and Moser, and will price match or beat any deal you can find, even group deals. we do rearends and anything else performance related of all sorts all day long and have the experience and knowledge to back it up. if you have questions or need a quote feel free to call, pm, or email us.