Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running LT's Catted Y with no drone from inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running LT's Catted Y with no drone from inside.

I want to go with some LT's and catted Y pipe for my Z28 that is stock other than a Lid and Borla but I am worried about droning from inside. Im not worried about how loud it sounds from outside as long as its not raspy or droning. Anyone have any insight on a set up that will work well for me. I have read and search countless other threads in the past few days and gone to LS1sounds.com but its tough to hear drone.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Drone is really a product of your muffler so it has little to do with headers and a catted y. Flowmaster and true duals usually have the loudest drone. My setup is lt's with no cats and a mac catback and it has no drone. U can hear it slightly at cruise but no one ever notices it...If u want it to be quiet as stock while cruising but loud at wot i suggest catted y lt's and a corsa catback they garuntee to be quiet at cruise but they cost $$$$.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

I pretty much agree with redbird. The cats will tone the rasp, the catback selection will determine how much drone you get. This is of course very subjective. What I find as acceptable noise inside the car, may very well drive the next guy insane..

I have ARH LTs with catted Y-pipe and SLP LMII. No real drone at all, no rasp either. My Z06 on the other hand has LTs with offroad X-pipe and B&B PRTs, drones like a mother ******!

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 03-05-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

You should be fine as far as drone goes with that borla kit. I'd use the 3/4 open plate if you don't wanna be too loud. AVOID the lm1 and an ory..... drone and rasp galore. Catted it isn't TOO loud, but still pretty annoying if you have a headache while driving.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have LTs+Catted Y and Magnaflow. It is borderline not loud enough...definitely no drone, at any RPMs.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have LTs ORY and open Borla. I don't mind it. Some rasp but I can still hear my radio just fine. I'm also cammed so I'm sure I'm louder as well. You'll like it man
Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My setup works well and sounds good....
Old 03-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Teching In

I have Hooks headers and ORY, no CATS, and a borla.....my drone was killer as well as the raspiness.....i had to put the restrictor plate back in...it quieted it down some, enough where im happy and everyone else is bitching still......