Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY RamAir Hood = Hydrolock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY RamAir Hood = Hydrolock?

I'm sure this has been beatin to death, but I tried a search and only found threads about the "free ram air mod" or whether or not RamAir works, etc., but nothing the same as what I am trying to ask:

I just bought a Formula with a Glassteck non-functional RamAir hood. It has an SLP Cold Air Kit that sucks from the bottom, but I was going to cut a rectangle on the underside of the hood with a Dremel (looks already outlined, almost as if its the same hood as the functional RamAir and they just charge more money) and drill holes in the grilles of the front "nostrils." My buddy has an SS with the factory RamAir and his loops around rather than a straight shot to the intake. My question is will I have to worry about hydrolock? When you look through the holes its just straight though to the back of the nostrils with maybe 3" of space, and the back-most part of the nostrils on the underside of the hood is about another 3"-4" from the SLP. It seems like if it rains water is going to be streaming straight through into my SLP, but I could be wrong...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

i would do it if it were my car but i guess there would be a chance of water getting to the filter.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

i dont think you will have many issues considering your not gonna be snorkeling in a car...for the most part vaccum isnt strong enough to continuously suck up water from the hood especially with the k&n filter in place.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why I dont drive in the rain. If I dont have the filter on I can see the MAF with the hood closed through the nostrils. If there is a chance of rain I dont go anywhere with the Hawk.

-Bert
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

thanks for the replies so far. I was talking to another friend and he said unless the intake/SLP lid is completely submerged there is nothing to worry about. This is my first car of this nature so I just want to make sure i'm not doing something really stupid. I was also considering buying a hydro shield just to be safe, but it doesnt look like there are any made to fit the rectangle intake filters our cars have...
Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about something like water through the intake. I have mine cut under the lid and no problems for years. And I have driven mine in tropical storms also. Alot of people have it done.

Quick Reply: DIY RamAir Hood = Hydrolock?